please help lost photos :(

scoobysounds 18:07 13 Feb 2008

Hi I'm new I have a desperate problem that is surely solvable, but beyond me.

this is what happened..

I put in my SD memory card and tried to open a folder that has family photos of precious memories and it wouldn't open, saying there was an I/O device error i think. so next I right click > properties > error checking. I ticked the box for recovery of bad sectors and let it do its thing. When finished it tells me it HAS recovered files and has put them in a folder called 'found' on the drive. When I look at the drive it has a completely new structure of hidden folders starting with 'private' and .dat files in the subfolders amongst others. the whole lot is 38mb which is likely to be about right. no sign of a 'found' folder, and there is no sign of a 'found' folder anywhere on the computer hard drive hidden or otherwise.

I downloaded a trial of 'file recover' but it could only find deleted files, none of which are relavant.

please can anyone help me as I would be so sad to loose these photos.

VoG II 18:19 13 Feb 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 13 Feb 2008

From cfc msticks smartmedia etc.
Smart recovery click here
zero assumption click here

Pamy 18:48 13 Feb 2008

Just to get things clear. Are you saying that your photo's were on your hard drive and you wanted to transfer them to your SD card or, were the photo's on your SD card and you wanted to transfer them to your hard drive ? Sorry to be so thick.

scoobysounds 18:55 13 Feb 2008

thanks so far guys, i'#ve just tried woodchips program but it didn't work.. it found 10 deleted images.

sorry yeah the photos were on the SD card and I was going to copy thm onto my hard drive.

scoobysounds 18:58 13 Feb 2008

I see that might have been confusing;

the SD card had ONE folder in it with photos in it.

then after the error check the SD card now has hidden folders and subfolders with strange files.

scoobysounds 21:02 13 Feb 2008

zero assumption rocks, thanks fruit bat!!

got them back, well chuffed!

woodchip 21:10 13 Feb 2008

Point the program to the Hard drive that Saved file are, After it checked the SD card

VoG II 21:14 13 Feb 2008

Now you need to consider a program like Acronis or Norton Ghost to backup your stuff.

scoobysounds 21:15 13 Feb 2008

too true!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?