please help, im totally confused

matty198111 22:37 05 Nov 2009

firstly i would like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post here, and i hope you can help.

ok here goes.

i have a orange live box and my hp pavillion is connected wireless with no trouble.

but ive just bought my 6 year old daughter a DELL LATITUDE CPI S500GT, now i know its an old computer but its all we could afford at the moment.
also with the comp i got a edup wireless usb adapter,
ive plugged it in and its installed ok and when its first plugged in it finds the live box but it wont connect to it, ive tried pressing button number one but it still wont work.
i really dont know what to do and i need to get it working as its a xmas present so im running out of time,

please if anyone can help it would great

thanks

mat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 05 Nov 2009

What software are you using to manage the wireless settings?

If you use the windows XP software then click on
Start - Settings - network settings - Wireless connection (Can you get this far?) if it finds the live box then click on the live box connection and highlight it.

Click Advanced settings - click Wireless networks tab - Live box should show in there?

Highlight the livebox - click porperties - tick the box connect even if not broadcasting

Network Authentication click box and set to WPA -PSK
Data encryption set to TKIP
Network key - type in the WEP key (25 letters and numbers) as printed on the label on the Livebox
And type in again in the Confirmation Box

Connection Tab
tick the box - connect whenever in range
click OK.

Try and see if it connects and you can get a web page.

If not then -

If you can connect to the livebox BUT NOT get any web pages to open you need to cahange the security setting in the live box.

To change the setting

1. Connect to the live box with an ethernet cable.

2. click here or type http:// configuration.adsl/ (without the space) in your browser address line.

3. you will now be connected to the livebox click on "Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password)."

4. Input the username and password (admin for both if you have not changed it)

5. Click Configuration - Advanced - Wireless

6. You will see that it is set to WPA or WEP security click and set to WPA security only

7. Click submit and wait for the livebox to reset itself.

8. Disconnect the ethernet cable and you now should be able to connect by wireless

Ashrich 23:17 05 Nov 2009

You may find that this laptop and/or the wireless adaptor might not be able or powerful enough to encode/decode WPA encryption , although it is just possible if it has enough memory , but just as an experiment try setting up a WEP key instead ( temporarily ) on the Livebox and see if it will connect that way .

Ashley

matty198111 23:21 05 Nov 2009

well i would like to say thank you very much for your help.

ive been trying to follow those instructions from om the net for 5 hrs but the way u described it was so easy to follow and took only 5 mins lol.

i cant thank you enough you will make my little girls day

once again thanks

mat

woodchip 23:22 05 Nov 2009

Can you get the Encryption key from the live box, as this as to go into the Wireless settings for the USB dongle

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:23 05 Nov 2009

Glad its sorted

A WPA key is much more secure than the old WEP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?