please help i'm so close

karmgord 11:51 26 Feb 2009

If you see my many previous posts i,m in a situation where my desktop winxp won't boot or restore with a repair as disk was an upgrade sp1
I've got a full system back up file on an external drive which i can now access/open via my laptop having altered the security settings,I have reloaded a basic xp on my desk top but it can see the backup file which will if clicked on will open the back up program but the backup program cant see the files I know are there.
I need to alter the security setting as i did with my lap top but the same options that were on the laptop are n't there when you right click the backup file on the desk top.The backup file is NTFS but NOT encrypted.
If I can only alter the backup if so the desktop can access it fully i will be able to do a fullsystem restore.
I hope this all makes sense

rawprawn 11:56 26 Feb 2009

Which backup program, have you loaded that program on your newly loaded XP?

rawprawn 12:00 26 Feb 2009

Please keep to one thread, it gets confusing when you change.
Remember one thread per problem until it is solved.
If you had come back before we may have been able to help you regarding "Repair"

lotvic 17:28 26 Feb 2009

From dougknox.com click here
"How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?

First, your hard drive must be formatted NTFS for this tab to show up.

Second, if you're running XP Pro, you must open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing."
------
Is it the ASR .bkf on your external drive (formatted as ntfs) you are still trying to restore?

karmgord 19:43 26 Feb 2009

backup was made with standard winxp backup
external drive is ntfs formatted

rawprawn 20:27 26 Feb 2009

If you have loaded XP Home (you said basic) The backup program is not installed by default. You have to manually install it.
Insert the CD Rom and navigate to CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file to start the wizard that installs Backup

When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

karmgord 21:16 26 Feb 2009

should have said system xp pro so back up program loaded ok the file when clicked on opens the back up program so its got the correct association but the program can't see the backed up files,my laptop btw can see all the backed up files

rawprawn 09:53 27 Feb 2009

Sorry I don't think I can help you further with this problem. Maybe someone else can.
May I suggest Acronis click here for future reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?