Please Help! - IE6 won't Open

Byteman 03:50 09 Mar 2004

Please Help me as I am going nuts with this problem!

I am running XP Home and IE6. The problem is that IE6 just will not launch/open at all! When I double click on my BT Anytime icon my PC connects to the net OK, but then IE will not open and produces an error report asking me if I want to send the report to microsoft. I have tried reading the error report but have not a clue what it states. It mentions something about TCP?

I have not changed anything on my PC and Internet explorer always worked Ok until recently. I can connect to the net once connected via my ISP (BT Openworld) using a music application I have called Kazaar? But it is not easy using Kazaar to surf the web.

Please Help!

Valvegrid 07:06 09 Mar 2004

According to their privacy policy the program has spyware bundled with it. Either get rid on Kazaar, or you're stuck with it if you want to continue using it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:41 09 Mar 2004

click here
to try a repair of IE, if it is not too late.

Byteman 23:01 09 Mar 2004

Thanks for the info about Kazaar. But can spyware cause the problems that I am having with IE opening?

Thanks

VoG II 23:06 09 Mar 2004

Yes!

First uninstall Kazaa - you are probably using it do download copyright music anyway.

Then download, install, update and run Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

Byteman 23:06 09 Mar 2004

I will try to repair IE, thanks for the info.

Byteman 23:10 09 Mar 2004

I know that its difficult to advise, but why has IE6 only just started playing up, as I have been using Kazaar for over a year now?

VoG II 23:15 09 Mar 2004

The spyware continues to install things, thats why. Do a search on Google for trickler for example.

Byteman 23:18 09 Mar 2004

Does anyone know if my IE problem could be virus related? I am running Norton pro on my machine.

Diodorus Siculus 07:44 10 Mar 2004

Could be virus related, but if you have Norton up to date, then that should not be a problem. Do a full AV scan with Norton and see if there is anything there.

Did the IE repair do anything for you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?