Please help. Download logging question

claudine 08:22 24 Feb 2004

I hope someone can help me. I'm just about to migrate from Demon adsl to Metronet which does a kind of pay as you go adsl. I've been using down2home to log how much I download since the beginning of this month. I never watch videos, play online games, radio, etc etc. I check emails, and do quite a bit of surfing. I thought my download levels would be fairly low but the smallest daily amount I use, according to down2home is 18.29 mb. Even today - I've only been connected for a couple of hours and spent an hour maximum reading the news, doing a crossword, done a bit of research on this and that, and it says I have used 23.351 mb. Is this normal or is something happening that I ought to know about?

Jester2K 08:26 24 Feb 2004

Download - does this include web pages or just programs and documents you download. I use a Browser Cache Cleaner and after a few hours surfing i can easily have 20 Mb in my browser cache - even when not downloading stuff (just web pages)

claudine 08:29 24 Feb 2004

not sure I understand the question - I think it means everything you download/upload.

thanks for helping btw : )

Jester2K 08:33 24 Feb 2004

When you view a website you downlod a copy of it to your PC.

What i'm asking is if the limit includes webpages or is just limited to programs and documents you download.

Depending on the sites you goto depends how much you download. If i spend a few hours here i rarely download more than 1 Mb or so. If go looking at PC Hardware site with pictures and long 20 page reviews then i can download 20 mb in an hour.

claudine 15:42 24 Feb 2004

Thanks Jester - I can see it's within the range of normal now, and I checked with metronet and so far this month it would only have cost me fourteen quid or something. Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?