Please Help! Cant recieve signal with Netgear!

manowar2 12:24 10 Sep 2006

I have a Rangemax Netgear wireless router/modem and a wireless usb network adaptor. I can connect through a cable but the usb adaptor can't find a signal - it just flashes blue. I can pick up a wireless signal from my nintendo ds, so i know its working. I have tried everything - I am using windows 2000 with a shuttle ak32a motherboard. Please help! I would be very gratefull. Cheers. Manowar2

Strawballs 17:02 10 Sep 2006

Sorry to ask but have you installed the driver for the USB adapter but if so go into device manager and see if it say's this device is working properly, if so and your Nintendo is picking up signal then it is not router then I would take it back and exchange and try a different one.

manowar2 12:40 11 Sep 2006

thanks for replying. I have installed the driver, and device manager says it is working properly. Any more ideas? could it be a conflict with my motherboard?

dms05 15:52 11 Sep 2006

Are you using the Netgear WiFi Utility program or the Windows XP WiFi Utility? You can't run both at the same time. Generally people recommend using the XP WiFi Utility. I do.

irishrapter 18:20 11 Sep 2006

So the usb adapter is working I take it?

Have a look at the wireless settings on the netgear router. Make sure that the wireless is on first, (silly I know but go for the easy one first!), check that the router is broadcasting the SSID and that its not hidden.

Failing that try and bring the router to someone else you know that has a wireless card/adapter and see if their computer can see the netgear.

(Dont know much about the nintendo ds but can it see wireless networks? If so see if it can see the netgear.)

Strawballs 19:35 11 Sep 2006

dms05 He is using Win 2000

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?