PLEASE HELP ,CANNOT FIND IP ADDRESS

roberto bartucca 12:41 25 Nov 2009

Hello
Please can someone help me ?.I am having problems with mt IP address.I used to be with o2 as a service privider and every time I wanted to use the internet after the pc had been switched off I would have to go through there help program and reset all the stored setting bck to when I originally set it up and then disable and re connect my belkin wireless router .I have switched over to plusnet and they do not have a help program so I have tried to reapir the netwok connection manually my disableing etc but all I am getting is searching for IP address which it never finds.
The router is showing as working (plusnet help line also say the connection is ok) and the belkin wireless shows as haveing excellent signal but after spending 4 hours on the phone to plusnet I still have no internet .
If anyone could give me some advise I would be soo happy

Roberto

MAT ALAN 13:06 25 Nov 2009

click here

this may help...

Jollyjohn 13:10 25 Nov 2009

Hi

First of all connect the router and computer with an ethernet cable.
Then go START RUN CMD in the DOS box that opens type "ipconfig /all"
look for default gateway - this is the address of your router.
Open a web page - type the router address in the address bar and open the router settings page - it may ask for a username and password - try admin admin or admin password.
Ensure dhcp is on / selected - this enables the router to hand out ip addressses.
on your computer under internet options LAN Connection - ensure it is set to "Obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns automatically"
Once you have established a connection with a cable connecting wirelessly should just involve entereing the network key.

roberto bartucca 15:04 25 Nov 2009

Thanks for all your help guys .Iwill try this tonight

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?