Please Help with Browsing Problem

wackosteve 23:37 15 Nov 2007

Hello
I am in dire straights and need some advice rgently.

I have spent all night trying to fix this problem yet still in haunts me.

I am running XP on my laptop with BT wireless. I cannot access the internet via my usual IE6. I can view for a couple of minutes then it comes up with 'cannot display the webpage'.

I know the internet connection is working because I can access my email via Outlook and play poker online. I have followed the instructions on the microsoft site for this problem but cannot rectify it. I installed IE7 in the hope that it would sort it but NO arghhhhhhhh.

I have the standard windows firewall. it will not let me unistall my AVG virus checker. when i try it says that 'installation failed'?????? it also says that intialiasion of the language file General failure.

please please help if possible cause it really is doing my head in now......

many thanks in advance

brundle 23:40 15 Nov 2007

Winsock fix first; click here

Reboot and try again.

Then LSPFix if that's no help; click here

Although it appears you have other problems. Re-install AVG (click here) and then try. Not that I recommend removing your AV software, unless you intend to re-install/replace.

wackosteve 22:44 18 Nov 2007

thanks for the dvice. i have installed all the programs you mentioned and run them all. it fixes the problem, i reboot and the problem is there again

birdface 22:57 18 Nov 2007

Try msconfig and add remove see if anything on those that should not be.Or maybe once you run those programs again go into system restore and turn it off before you reboot.You will loose all your restore points.Once rebooted and your computer is clean turn on system restore again.

birdface 23:01 18 Nov 2007

Maybe better ignoring my last post I was assuming you had virus-Trojan problems.Might be better waiting for Brundle to reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?