please help about (raid)

bibo1465 13:45 01 Jan 2006

Hi everyone

I am wishing you all a very happy new year.

Please i need your help.I bought (ultra ata 133 pci card controller RAID).
Please be with me step by step because i don't want to confuse you.I have ASUS motherboard K8V se deluxe.
I am using IDE cable.
IDE1:dvd rom,and dvd writer
IDE2: 2 hard disk,c and d drives.

I want to install another hard disk,so i bought the (ultra ata 133 pci card controller RAID),to install the third hard disk only,on the pci card.

I don't know how RAID works,and i don't want to install the third hard disk on the Raid configuration.

-Can i use the pci card with normal IDE cable to install the 3rd hard disk?
-do i have to install the raid software on my pc?

I haven't install the pci card inside my pc yet,waiting for your reply please.

I hope to hear from you very soon,and thank you so much for your help in advance.

My kindest regards
bibo

LastChip 14:18 01 Jan 2006

This is not something I've tried to do (and I doubt many others have either) but fit the card and let it install as usual. Hopefully, Windows will discover "New Hardware" and load the appropriate drivers, otherwise, you will have to manually load them from any disc that was provided with the card. At this point, nothing is going to change on your computer, so your no worse off.

Look in Device Manager and make sure the card has installed without any problems (no yellow exclamation marks etc).

Now connect your new drive to the controller card, noting any restrictions regarding which port should be used first and see if the drive is recognised in Windows. Assuming it is, all you now have to do is format the drive.

This is all assuming your using Windows XP, if you're using something else, please post back.

bretsky 15:29 01 Jan 2006

Forgive me, but I thought you had to have 2 identical Hard drives to get the full benefit of Raid 0/1

click here

Also I cannot remember whether it was in last month's PCA mag or the month before, but there was an article on this subject.

bretsky ;0)

Totally-braindead 15:39 01 Jan 2006

bretsky, bibo1465 has already said he does not wish to use RAID but wants to know if he can use the card to install another hard drive, but not on RAID.

I presume bibo1465 there were no instructions with the card or on the driver CD I presume you got with the card. I know that you can use the card as you have asked but since I have not tried it myself I am unsure of whether you have to install the RAID part of the driver installation as well. See if anyone else has done it and can advise, if not then do as Lastchip has suggested and see what happens.

bretsky 15:47 01 Jan 2006

ah Yes I see, apologies

"I don't know how RAID works, and i don't want to install the third hard disk on the Raid configuration."

bretsky ;0)

bibo1465 16:58 01 Jan 2006

hi everyone

Update for what i have done:
I follower LastChip:
-Installed the pci card first,with the software,without installing the hard disk.switch off the pc(all the plugs off),install the hard disk,restart my pc.first screen a popup asking me: to press F3 to entre set bios for RAID.

I haven't clicked anything,than it restart normally.

When i went to disk manager,windows xp saw the new hard disk,it says:
-unallocated: 233.GB
But when i right clicked on the hard disk to format it and create a new partition,i couldn't,because the (new partition ) option is dimmed.
I placed the windows xp in dvd drive and restart my pc as i want to format the hard disk,when i blue screen come up to setup the windows xp,i couldn't see the new drive,only C: drive.

With luck: i restart my pc,and again to disk manager, i right clicked on the new hard disk,the new partition option was working.

now i am formating the new hard disk.

I just found out that the new disk is:SCSI interface.
It is Maxtor L250RO scsi

I was so lucky.thanks god.

Again thank you all from all my heart for your help.

My kindest regards
bibo1465

LastChip 18:41 01 Jan 2006

For the benefit of others that may read this, it is preferable, though NOT essential to have two identical drives if you want a RAID array, and depending on which version of RAID you require, may require three or more drives.

Different drives will simply default to the smaller of the two (or more) sizes, so there will be wasted space on the larger drive(s).

This has been discussed in the past at some length and the consensus (which I agree with), is that it's a waste of time and effort for a home computer to use RAID.

The only time it will be beneficial, is if you have a very powerful machine dedicated to something like video editing or CAD/CAM, where huge amounts of data are being transferred to disc on a regular basis. OR, you have critical data that MUST be backed up all the time.

bibo1465 19:29 01 Jan 2006

hi LastChip and everyone

Update:
When i tried to format the new hard disk in (disk managment),i format it with slow speed(about 1 hour,15 minutes to finish)using NTFS,in the end and error popup saying:
logical disk managment
The format did not complete successfully.

I went to bios(bios found the new HD)
everytime i click format slow or quick format in (disk managment),the same error as above come up.

I placed the windows xp in dvd writer drive and restart pc,by pressing any key to read from windows xp CD rom,in the end(like you want to format and reinstall windows),the blue screen can only see the C: drive, can't see the new HD.

Do you recommend me to back up my files to new HD even with this error as above.

Please let me know.

Again thank you all for your help
bibo1465

LastChip 19:51 01 Jan 2006

If the drive has not formatted properly, it would be very unwise to use it as a backup. It is unlikely it would accept data anyway.

There are a couple of further things that you could consider.

First, try loading the RAID software, but don't use it to configure the computer, as you would loose all your data.

Second, if it's a SCSI device, then it would need to be terminated. If there's more than one SCSI device, you terminate the end of the chain. This is sometimes done automatically with modern devices, but sometimes it is necessary to do it manually. You need to find more information on the drive really, but the Maxtor site does not recognise the identifier you have posted. If you do have more than one SCSI device, then each needs a unique address identifier.

bibo1465 12:44 02 Jan 2006

LastChip or anyone please help.

Follow the installation of the new hard disk(maxtor 7L250RO,250GB scsi),i tried to copy some file to see what will happen,because i found out the new hard disk is SCSI interface,and when i tried to farmat it using NTFS in the end the format was not completed successfully.

Nearly after about 15 minutes an error come in:
windows-delayed write failed
windows was unable to save all the data for H:\$MFT.the data has been lost.this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.please try to save the file elsewhere.

The H:\ drive is the new hard disk

do you recommend me to write to maxtor(HD manufacturer) about this problem,may be they have a fix.

This morning the minute i switch the pc on and when it reach the welcone screen the same error as above(windows-delayed write failed) comes up

I went to system properties>computer managment?application>i found out error ID 51

i visited microsoft web site,but you have to be einstein to fix this problem(includin edit the registry).

this is the error i received incomputer managment>application error 51:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Can you please help me if you have any idea.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

My kindest regards
bibo

LastChip 13:18 02 Jan 2006

As I suggested above, I think the reason you have a data writing problem, is due to the drive not being formatted properly.

Until you can resolve that, it is unlikely the drive will work correctly.

Have you tried the RAID software as I suggested above and making sure the device is terminated?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone