Please help!!!!!!!!

Shaney9 20:01 05 Oct 2006

When I turn my PC on my monitor light goes from green to orange as if on standby. I get absolutely nothing on my screen.

I've changed monitors and the same thing happens. It's as if my PC isn't recognising my monitor!

Can anyone help?

Ptolemy 20:10 05 Oct 2006

I had a similar thing a few days ago - monitor would shut down for no reason as if I'd turned the pc off.

After lots of affing around and swearing at the computer it was a loose power cable - as it got warm it must have moved in the monitor's socket.

Because you've changed monitor it can't be exactly the same reason, but it could be the same basic cause.

Check both ends on the power lead and the wall or surge proetecter socket - also chcek the monitor-to-PC cable.

gudgulf 20:13 05 Oct 2006

It could also be the graphics card failing.

What pc specification have you got?

xania 20:14 05 Oct 2006

If you've had the same problem with more than one monitor, then rule that out and look at your Video card. Is it firmly installed in the socket? Its not difficult to disturb it while changing monitors, and over time it can come loose.. Take it out and then put it back in cleanly. If that fails, it may well be that the card is faulty. If you can, borrow one from a friend and see if that gives you any joy.

skidzy 20:16 05 Oct 2006

Have you tried a different monitor cable ?

Also does it happen when trying to get into safe mode,tapping f8 on startup will get you into safe mode if the monitor works of course.

If you can get into Safe mode,you will be given some options,try Last Known good Configuration.

Again if your monitor works in safe mode,try system restore to a time when it last worked ok,this assuming you have xp.

It maybe that your Ram is faulty.

Please post your system specs.

Jackcoms 20:18 05 Oct 2006

Next time you post, please use a thread title which actually describes your problem - as required by the rules of this Forum.

"Please help!!!!!!!!" tells us absolutely nothing about your problem.

terryf 20:30 05 Oct 2006

I agree with Shaney9

GaT7 20:51 05 Oct 2006

Couple of simple things to try:

1. F8 & choose 'Enable VGA Mode' or similar (click here), & lower/alter resolution.

2. If no joy with above get into Safe Mode (again F8 as it's starting up) & manually lower/alter the resolution (it possible).

G

P.S. Agree with Jackcoms. See FE's post about meaningless thread titles click here

GaT7 20:53 05 Oct 2006

My first point is better explained at click here, under 'Fixing Display Resolution and Refresh Rate Problems in VGA Mode'. G

Shaney9 21:50 05 Oct 2006

Thanks to everyone that replied. It did turn out to be the graphics card. All now sorted.

Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone