please help

bodigs 11:25 23 Apr 2006

hi my sister gave me her pc to instal the trial version of microsoft works as she needed it and has no internet(it has been cut off)she had no virus scans or firewall so i downloaded spybot ad-ware avg and zone alarms ran the scans which detected hundreds upon hundreds of trojans and worms when i went into tools on the spybot it showed over 80 worms were starting up with her pc i unchecked them went to restart the pc for zone alarms to instal fully the pc will not start up tried the reload disc of her pc no joy what have i done wrong?she will kill me its not even paid of yet her pc is an IQON any help would be most gratefully appreciated thank you

Smiler 11:31 23 Apr 2006

What do you mean won't start up does it power up or just sit there? Please explain

User-312386 11:43 23 Apr 2006

1 it's not your fault that your sister has so many worms/virus

2 What operating system do you have?

Smiler 11:47 23 Apr 2006

As madboy33©® says it's not your fault so don't feel guilty. just answer the questions and we will try to help.

terryf 12:05 23 Apr 2006

First step IMO should be to boot up in safe mode and run the av and other progs if you can, (pressing F8 during boot-up)

bodigs 13:23 23 Apr 2006

hi thanks for your very quick answers first off my sister wouldnt understand that it not my fault she,l blame me anyway its a windows xp home edition it turns on when it to the boot from cd screen it wont do anything have put the reload disc in and it wont run it a screen comes up saying windows root system either corrupt or bit missing or something like that but it wont leave me run the repair disc to fix it cause it wont leave anything at all run does that help you hope so thank you

skidzy 14:00 23 Apr 2006

If you have access to another pc,i suggest you download Ewido click here
Save it to a folder and copy to a flash drive or disc.
Then,if you can work in safe mode on the infected pc....Load the ewido program and run it.

Do you know if the infected pc has sp2,if not again i suggest you download it and burn to a dvd disc as this is a big download,alternatively maybe buy it from pc world etc.

You say you have a repair disc...do you have a recovery disc ? if so...again if you can work in safe mode,this would be your best option to totally reinstall windows.

Good luck

johnnyrocker 15:30 23 Apr 2006

try safe mode with system restore and start again?

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 23 Apr 2006

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

bodigs 21:55 27 Apr 2006

hi done all that you suggested and replaced the cd rewriter and it worked perfectly many many thanks for taking the time to help me out it is very much appreciated keep up the great work you smart people you are all in my prayers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?