Please explain WinZip & WinRar to me

AngeTheHippy 14:30 03 Sep 2005

Hi Chaps,

I've used the above 2 applications for some time now - to unzip/unrar, but I cannot understand HOW to make archives with them. I'll explain a bit better - example: I have a folder (with images) of 800Mb, and want to WinRar it(I understand rar is better than zip for larger files?)but when it's safely 'rarred', it's only compressed it down to about 730Mb - this is wrong surely?

AngeTheHippy
xx

bremner 14:33 03 Sep 2005

This is because if the images are jpg then they are already compressed - therefore there is virtually no more compression possible.

AngeTheHippy 14:36 03 Sep 2005

what if it's a game file or avi?

AngeTheHippy
xx

recap 14:39 03 Sep 2005

I have used both compression tools you have mentioned AngeTheHippy and, found that they do not compress the larger files down enough for me.

After using Stuffit from the PCA cover disc I am now using this as my compression tool. I found that it generally compresses files more than the above mentioned tools.

You can download Stuffit if you click here

bremner 14:40 03 Sep 2005

Then you should certainly notice a difference.

In basic terms
A mpeg is a compressed avi.
A mp3 or wma is a compressed wav
A jpg is a compressed bmp.

Files like docs, speadsheets, databases all can be zipped pretty well.

As an example yesterday I had twenty doc files which were over 1.44Mb and I needed to put on a floppy - after using winzip that went down to 350Kb

AngeTheHippy 14:45 03 Sep 2005

that IS compressing well!! I'll have a practice with Stuffit, thank you, recap, for recommending this - I looked at the site you suggested - are they demo/short usage only? Which version do you have?

AngeTheHippy
xx

bremner 14:47 03 Sep 2005

That was because document files are full of empty spaces which mean they compress well.

AngeTheHippy 15:16 03 Sep 2005

and it went from 665Mb to 662Mb. This isn't anywhere NEAR as small as I expected it!! Or, am I expecting too much? I right-click the compressed file and look at properties - this is where I get the actual Mb-size of the file.

AngeTheHippy

recap 15:36 03 Sep 2005

I use the verions 9.

I have just compressed a jpeg file with Stuffit X Archive and Stuffit Archive.

The Stuffit X Archive is 42.6Kb in size while the Stuffit Archive is 59.9Kb in size.

Oh the jpeg size was 61.1Kb in size.

BBez 18:03 03 Sep 2005

try using UHARC - High Compression Multimedia Archiver 0.4 BETA, it's a WinRar type application but supports much better compression, i've had some files about 1GB in size compressed to 450MB...

There are various GUI's for UHARC but i'll list the one i use (UHARC GUI by Brhack 2.0)...

Download link:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?