Please Explain this - W32/Virut.7116

Shikaree 18:04 02 Jun 2009

Hi Folks,

I connected an old hard drive which I have used about 6 months ago and Virgin Media did a scan and detected the above.

Can anyone plese let me know if this is a dangerous Virus. It's been Quarantined. It's in 4 of my Files mentioned.

Thanks

Shikaree

tullie 18:13 02 Jun 2009

It apperars to be a Trojan,i believe.If its dealt with then no problem,others may advise better.

birdface 18:27 02 Jun 2009

Yes hard to pin it down.None of the the big a/virus vendors saying much about it.But would be safer to download Malwarebytes free version and see if it finds anything.

MAT ALAN 18:32 02 Jun 2009

click here

try this, its a very low risk threat, and as you have it quarantined you have it under control...

Shikaree 19:58 02 Jun 2009

Hi buteman,

Downloaded Malwarebytes free version and did a Scan. Found about 390 odd Malware infections.

Mostly Adware.MyWeb & Adware.MyWebsite or Websearch. In Red on left side. Category - Mostly Registry Keys including Program Files.

What do I do now REMOVE them?

Shikaree

birdface 20:20 02 Jun 2009

Without seeing them maybe quarantine them that does the same job.After a week if your computer is working Ok it should be safe to go into Quarantine and delete them.
I should have said to update Malwarebytes first then run it.

birdface 20:25 02 Jun 2009

The possibilities are some of them may return if so you may need further help.
Maybe the next time you run it do it in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]Best of luck lets hope it stays clear.

Shikaree 20:50 02 Jun 2009

hi buteman,

I have Version 1.37.

Thanks for the advise

Shikaree 20:57 02 Jun 2009

buteman,

Sorry can't Quarantine. Clicked it on top nothing. Remove Selected is Highlighted and all are Ticked.

Then there is IGNORE & Save Logfile. Main Menu is Abort.

Shikaree 21:03 02 Jun 2009

MAT ALAN,

Clicked it open and read it, quite complicated to use but will give it a try cautiously.

DieSse 21:03 02 Jun 2009

Remove them - you neither want nor need any malware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?