Please educate me about Bluetooth

Pineman100 17:07 08 Jan 2014
Answered

I'd like to be able to play music from my Windows 8.1 laptop through a speaker in other rooms in the house. I'm interested to know whether I could do this with a Bluetooth speaker. But I'm afraid I know next-to-nothing about Bluetooth!

According to the Device Manager, my Lenovo laptop is fitted with the following:-

Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator

I have no idea what each of these does, but I assume that between them they give my laptop Bluetooth capability - would you agree?

If this is the case, is there any reason why I couldn't do as I plan and buy a Bluetooth-enabled speaker to bounce music from the laptop to other rooms? What is the usual range of Bluetooth transmissions, assuming a brick wall or two en route?

Any and all thoughts/experiences about this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

lotvic 17:55 08 Jan 2014

You may be better getting an FM transmitter then you can tune radios in other rooms to the music from your Windows 8.1 laptop. PCA Thread about them click here

I got my grandson (age 9) one of these 'LineX Wireless USB FM Transmitter' for his birthday, so he could tune his radio to listen to the music playing on his PC when he was in the garden and on the move. He loves it.

Pineman100 18:36 08 Jan 2014

Thanks for that idea, lotvic. In principle it's just what I want, except that we only have DAB radios in the house. In that useful thread that you linked to, someone mentions that these short-range transmitters aren't available for DAB.

However, I suppose I could buy an FM radio (although I confess that seems a bit of a backwards step!).

Is your son able to receive the LineX signal throughout the house?

Pineman100 19:06 08 Jan 2014

Thanks for that, Beta. However, the price is a bit strong for my blood! I was thinking more in terms of a Bluetooth speaker around the £20 mark!

alanrwood 19:36 08 Jan 2014

Not likely to work well as Bluetooth is short range technology. You may be lucky however.

wee eddie 19:49 08 Jan 2014

They say that Bluetooth has a range of 20 to 25 feet. However, 10 to 15 is more realistic

lotvic 21:10 08 Jan 2014
Answer

Pineman100, read page 2 (and more) of that pca thread I linked to. DAB/FM.

Range of the transmitter - worked up to 60' away apparently.

Pineman100 10:18 09 Jan 2014

Thanks lotvic. I confess I hadn't spotted that there were several more pages on that thread.

I presume you are pointing me towards the LineX Wireless FM transmitter? Big L 266 certainly seems very impressed with it.

Maybe I should rethink my plans and spend my £20-ish on an FM portable radio instead of a Bluetooth speaker, as this would seem to be the best way to achieve what I'm after. It seems ironic, though, that in order to do this I have to turn to yesterday's technology!

Thanks very much for your continued advice, and to everyone else for their views.

lotvic 13:58 09 Jan 2014

Pineman100, I don't know which will be best, I could only say about the one that I know about from 2 yrs ago :)

There may be a better way with newer tech stuff. Sound bars and things like that. (I'm showing my ignorance now ;-))

neiljh 17:14 28 Jan 2014

Hi Pineman. As Beta said you're not likely to get much for £20 when it comes to a Bluetooth speaker. I just bought a Cambridge Audio Minx Go and it streams music from both my laptop and and phone from up to about 10m away.

May be a little out your price range but I noticed they have a competition running at the moment so you could try winning one instead. click here

Good luck.

Pineman100 17:27 28 Jan 2014

Thanks neiljh - I'll give it a whirl!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?