Please comment on my first web shop

Griffon 21:01 15 Nov 2006

I'd appreciate your comments on my first website to include a shopping cart.

click here

I've learnt a heck of a lot by building this site - not least about using the PayPal shopping cart - so although I'm a relative newbie I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

PurplePenny 22:51 15 Nov 2006

You don't deliver to Yarnton! Oh well, no gateau for me then.

You've got Chislehampton twice and Sandford-on-Thames is missing the "d"

One small question: since the cakes are only delivered within the UK why go for a .com domain? Why not a .co.uk? If I were looking for a service like this I would restrict the search to only pick up co.uk addresses so that I wouldn't get hundreds of US and other sites.c

Griffon 07:02 16 Nov 2006

Thanks for spotting those corrections, PurplePenny.

Yarnton, Oxfordshire? For you, anything :-)

Yes, the .com / .co.uk gave us great thought here. I produced the site for someone who tends to move round the world every few years. So, she needs to take her site with her, if you see what I mean. The .co.uk domain is registered too and points to the .com location. At some point I'll probably produce a .co.uk mirror page.

Griffon 16:58 16 Nov 2006

Wow - Fourm Member! Thanks very much for spending so much time checking over my site. I will go through your comments carefully and update with the required corrections.

I note your comments about keywords and in fact I wish I'd read a bit more about SE optimisation before I built the site. I now know that it's possible, by careful use of site layout for example, to ensure that the important text appears higher up the source than I have it. I don't know how important this is. Do robots give up spidering a page when they get 20% / 30% / 50% down the page? Why they shouldn't read the whole page I don't know, but the implication in the articles I've read is that the higher up the source, the more weight a spider gives to text. What are your views?

PurplePenny 22:42 17 Nov 2006

As well as the benefits of proper heading tags to search engine ranking, they are also better for accessibility. In fact using proper heading tags, in a semantically logical heirachy, is essential for accessibility. This is because users of assistive technology use the heading tags to navigate around a page.

There should only be one <h1>, <h2>s should be subheadings of <h1>, then <h3>s are subheadings of <h2> etc.. You can't miss a level so, for instance, you can't make an <h4> a subheading of <h2>.

"Yarnton, Oxfordshire?" The very same!

I see your point about having a domain name that will travel!

You seem to have all the distance selling info covered; but just in case there is a really good guide to selling online on Trading Standards. click here

Griffon 08:39 18 Nov 2006

PurplePenny - thanks for that clear explanation of heading tags. I tend to use css text because it gives me more control and I can make changes site wide at a stroke. I've never quite understood how I control heading tags with css. I tend to use css to define the different texts I wish to use in various circumstances - and not think of it as heading tags or ordinary text tags. I need to educate myself better on how to use css for this.

PurplePenny 17:36 18 Nov 2006

Just use it exactly the same way as you do for text. So, for instance, you have a class called titleheader

.titleheader {
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 16px;
font-style: normal;
color: #577B8B;
font-weight: bold;
}

You could substitute "h1" (no full stop before it) for ".titleheader" and it would then apply to every instance of the h1 tag. If you wanted headings 1,2 and 3 to be the same style but different size you could define the common elements:

h1, h2, h3 {
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style: normal;
color: #577B8B;
font-weight: bold;
}

then add the sizes separately:
h1{font-size: 16px;}
h2{font-size: 14px;}
h3{font-size: 12px;)

What are you using to build the site? Someone else might be able to give you more specific instructions for doing it in your chosen software.

PurplePenny 17:37 18 Nov 2006

fourm member types faster than I do...

PurplePenny 17:39 18 Nov 2006

are saying "eat me".

IClaudio 19:27 18 Nov 2006

This is such a tasty site yum yum :)

I'm off to cook dinner...

Griffon 13:20 19 Nov 2006

To fourm member and purple penny.

Thanks. I understand exactly what you mean there. .... except the bit about .h1 I use dreamweaver and when you set up a ccss text it asks for a name for the text - usually in the form of dot name (.maintext or whatever). I thought it had to be .name but you're saying for heading tags there should be no dot, just h1?

IClaudio - bon appetite :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?