A Plea for Backups

€dstowe 07:56 25 Dec 2006

Before I go for my Christmas jollities, can I make yet another plea to anyone who doesn't have a backup of their computer system, to make one without delay.

There are several threads recently, some still running, which would be totally unnecessary if a backup had been made and used to get the system back to how it should be.

I appreciate that people may be bored to tears by me constantly posting this same subject but, the fact remains that there is a continuing stream of posts where a backup could have saved much stress and heartache.

DON'T JUST THINK ABOUT IT. DON'T LEAVE IT AS ANOTHER NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION WAITING TO BE BROKEN AS SOON AS YOU CAN. DO IT. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

(Before anyone tells me that posting in upper case letters is shouting, I know, it's supposed to be).

If you've been lucky enough to get a new computer for Christmas treat it to a backup before you start mucking it up with things you wish you hadn't loaded, looked at or had come in by accident.

Come on folks, do it and then have a relaxed and HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

rawprawn 09:05 25 Dec 2006

I whoeheartedly agree with €dstowe.

Ed, I was going to upgrade to Acronis TI 10, but I cannot get the email backup to work, it starts then says it has a problem and needs to close. Any ideas? My ordinary backup programs for OE and Outlook work no problem, and since my TI9 takes a complete backup I really don't need the email backup facility but it just annoys me.

anskyber 09:07 25 Dec 2006

Well shouted!

€dstowe 09:17 25 Dec 2006

I'm still on Acronis 9!!

I don't see the point of upgrading just for the sake of it. The version I have does everything I want of it so I'll stay with it.

Stuartli 09:34 25 Dec 2006

Eminently sensible advice.

rawprawn 10:02 25 Dec 2006

My sentiments entirely

gudgulf 10:42 25 Dec 2006

Just doing mine now......whilst I have better things to do like playing with the kids new toys :)

I upgraded from Acronis TI7 to TI10 last night for the princely sum of £18, thanks to a decent offer via e-mail from Acronis and the favourable exchange rate.

Well pleased!

Enoch 10:55 25 Dec 2006

It does not matter how many times this post is repeated, because it is an unwritten LAW that should be obeyed. I BackUp at least once a week. I have had the problem of a complete loss several years ago. It was destoying. I swore "never again", because I know first hand of the results of a complete loss.

So, anybody who does not back up should really have no right on the forum either to ask questions or to resolve others problems.

Good for you €dstowe, good for you others who support €dstowe

Trackrat 10:56 25 Dec 2006

I am still using Version 8 on one machine and version 7 on the other, and they still do what i need of them.
And they have saved me more than once.

Miros 10:58 25 Dec 2006

MERRY CHRISTMAS €dstowe :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 25 Dec 2006

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Excellent advice from €dstowe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?