Playing wmv files on a dvd player

Marko1 22:41 17 Dec 2005

I have some wmv files that I have downloaded from the net and saved to CD that I would like to be able to play on my DVD player and watch on my TV. My current DVD player does not recognise this format. Does anyone know of a player on the market that will allow me to watch these files? Thanks

DieSse 22:44 17 Dec 2005

You may be better off converting them to a format your DVD player will play. There are loads of converters around - a google will soon find them.

Marko1 22:49 17 Dec 2005

Thanks for that, you couldn't point me in the right direction could you, I'm a bit of a computer novice. Can I convert files that are saved on a CD? I don't have the original files on my computer anymore. I cleared them off to free disc space. Thanks.

If anyone else knows of a CD player that will play wmv files I'd still like to know

DieSse 22:55 17 Dec 2005

Copy them back into your computer.

Find a converter - convert them - write a new CD.

Let us know what types of file your DVD player will play.

stalion 22:57 17 Dec 2005

for playing on a dvd drive you need to convert the files to mpeg2 there is a trial version of this click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:57 17 Dec 2005

DVD Santa will convert WMV to DVD, assuming you have a DVD writer

DieSse 22:59 17 Dec 2005

Example click here

7 days free trial so you can see if it works.

Put ... wmv converter software ... into a google search and it will throw up lots of similar software.

stalion 23:00 17 Dec 2005

also dvd santa here click here

Marko1 23:23 17 Dec 2005

At the moment I only have a VCR/DVD copier. My actual DVD player has died on me hence the reason I was hoping to find a DVD player on the market that will play wmv files.

It was suggested that I copy the files back onto my computer then convert them. Can i copy back files from a CDR? I thought they were read only?

Thanks very much for all the advice so far, much appreciated, keep it coming!!

Marko1 23:29 17 Dec 2005

Just had a quick look at the DVD Santa which looks great. My computer does not have a DVD burner though (I think??)Is there somewhere on the system that will tell me if I have just a cd Burner or a dvd burner. If I don't have a dvd burner can someone suggest a cheap reliable dvd burner to buy. Thanks

DieSse 00:06 18 Dec 2005

*Can i copy back files from a CDR? I thought they were read only?*

Copying them back to your PC does only involve reading them from the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?