playing Quick time movie in WMP11

bigboab y 10:01 24 Jul 2008

Been given a disc by my daughter with some short movies on it.These appear as "QUICK TIME MOVIE",but they wont play in my Windows Media Player 11.How can I get them to play in WMP11?

try the quick time alternative codec
click here

bigboab y 10:52 24 Jul 2008

Thanks for that Raven,but what I think I am looking for is a way to convert from a .MOV file to one that WMP can play

bigboab y 11:17 24 Jul 2008

Found a file converter "RAD VIDEO"... takes about 20 minutes to convert a 5mb .MOV file..lifes too short..in passing I notice that REAL PLAYER can play these files...why the hell cant WMP 11??

anchor 12:54 25 Jul 2008

I have tried a few different converters for changing mov files to avi, and find Rad video tools has the edge in quality.

click here

Forget about Bink & Smacker

I can then convert the avi file to a smaller wmv file in windows movie maker. Both types will play in WMP.

I have never been successful in getting mov files to play in WMM, despite installing every codec I can think of. As you say, Real player works.

anchor 13:28 25 Jul 2008

I should have said:

I have never been successful in getting mov files to play in Windows Media Player.

bigboab y 13:45 25 Jul 2008

That RAD video thingy is not as slow as I thought. I changed a cuppla .mov's to AVI..but the picture on WPM was quite small.Defeats the object.I still find it incredible that WPM cant play .mov's as a lot of new camcorders use that format.Mibbe sumdy should tell Mr Gates. However,I'll resolve this now.Thanks for all your input guys/gals.

Woolwell 14:12 25 Jul 2008

mov is Apple. WPM is Microsoft. Need I say any more?

sinbads 14:32 25 Jul 2008

try this one click here

anchor 15:04 26 Jul 2008

I have never used it, but these comments are on the download site:

IT'S NOT FREE. TO THE AUTHORS - FREE MEANS YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT TO USE IT. JUST BECAUSE IT'S FREE TO DOWNLOAD DOESN'T MEAN IT'S FREE. I downloaded this software and installed it. The very first time I started it, I got a nag screen that told me that the trial period was over and I had to purchase it in order to use it, and that was before I even used it one time. I wish someone at download.com would weed these jerks out; it's pretty annoying to have to go through the download and installation process just to find out that the authors of the software are liars. Also, it installs a lot of junk in your start menu when you install the program; the installed junk is a list of other programs that the authors try to suck you into buying.

sinbads 17:02 27 Jul 2008

Sorry but that comment is a load of rubbish doesn't relate to what i have
about:
Prism video converter : licensed user..prism V 1.10

Unlicensed basic free version

Nothing else bundled with it,works a treat

OK the company offer this free software in the hope that you will like it and upgrade to the full version.

Must say i'm impressed with this software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?