Playing Online PS2 Wirelessly

Viv-208691 23:57 02 Apr 2006

Hi there, I realise this is perhaps not the best forum for this question but I have looked elsewhere and cannot find the answer, and have found in the past that the PCA website is often the answer to most question!

Ok, the question is fairly simple:... I have a new slimline PS2 with built in network adapter. I also have a wireless network and Centrino laptop. Does anyone know if I can connect the laptop to the PS2 via a network cable and hence use the PS2 online wirelessly? Or do I need to buy a specially designed PS2 wireless network adapter? Alternatively I also have a USB network adapter (for use with a PC in my network) - can this be used?

Thanks for your help, I realise this is a fairly farfetched question!!

Kind regards, F.T.

mgmcc 12:21 03 Apr 2006

In theory, what you want to do should be possible. You would connect the laptop and PS2 by "crossover" network cable and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the laptop's actual internet connection, i.e. the WiFi connection to the router. This would give the laptop's Local Area Connection the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and the PS2 would gets its IP address automatically by DHCP from the Laptop.

Now, in order to avoid a conflict of IP addresses, the router and the addresses it allocates by DHCP must be in a different subnet (IP address range) from the 192.168.0.0 subnet used by Internet Connection Sharing.

<<< Alternatively I also have a USB network adapter (for use with a PC in my network) - can this be used? >>>

If that can be installed in the PS2 (and I know nothing about the PS2), so that it can connect directly to the wireless router, that would be a very much better solution.

Viv-208691 10:35 05 Apr 2006

Thanks so much for your help, I used a crossover cable and enacbled Internet Connection Sharing on my laptop and... finally got it working! I had a few issues with my router and inevitably AOL but the work has paid off!!

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards, F.T.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?