Playing a DVD-RW omn a laptop

bturner 08:24 30 Aug 2013

I only found out yesterday that I could play a DVD film on my laptop.

Is it possible to play a Sony DVD-RW on a laptop?

It has a recording from my sony handycam.

Using Belarc advisor it shows I have Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S [Optical drive]

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1

Press Man 08:45 30 Aug 2013

Which make and model number is the laptop.

Secret-Squirrel 08:59 30 Aug 2013

"Is it possible to play a Sony DVD-RW on a laptop?"

Yes it is, although I'm not sure why you haven't just tried it - but here goes:

Click the Start button -> click the "Computer" icon -> double-click the CD/DVD drive icon -> locate your video file and double-click on that.

chub_tor 09:01 30 Aug 2013

DVD-RW can be tricky to play on a machine different from the one that they have been burnt on. The solution is to always use the option to "finalize" the disc after you have finished the recording. This means that no other session can be recorded after the one you have just made, however it does not mean that in the case of a -RW you can't use it again. Just wipe the disc and record over the old one.

bturner 15:57 30 Aug 2013

Press man, it is a Packard Bell easynote TM89 V1.13

Secret squirrel, I had already tried it with no success before I posted the question and got the same result after following your instructions.

When I "Click the Start button -> click the "Computer" icon -> double-click the CD/DVD drive icon" there are no video files displayed.

Chub tor, the DVD-RW has been finalised. I am away from home for a while and brought the DVD-RW with me but not the video camera it was recorded on and want to show friends what was recorded.

Woolwell 20:15 30 Aug 2013

Model of camcorder? Was the DVD recorded in the camcorder? It could be a format problem which I came across with a Panasonic using a mini-DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?