Playing AVI file

cagey 12:33 31 May 2004

I downloaded a film trailer, but cannot get it to play on any player (Winamp, Real One or Windows Media Player) all I get is the program with a blank screen and no sound, the cursor runs along the bar as if it is playing. The file name is "Trailer (complete) [SMR] XVID.AVI" . Could someone please help me with what I need to run this file.

Mo H 12:39 31 May 2004

sounds like you are missing some codecs, AVI files play on my Win Media Player.

DivX is good and i use it ... download it from here

click here

stalion 13:07 31 May 2004

also if you upgrade to realplayer 10 which is free it plays avi files click here

cagey 21:15 31 May 2004

Mo H, downloaded latest divx (5.1.1) as suggested, still get same result ie no picture or sound, there is a divx logo in bottom right hand corner of player.

Stalion, downloaded Realplayer 10, but am unable to load it onto computer, it shows as a file and not an application.

Any further ideas please?

woodchip 21:27 31 May 2004

In explorer try renaming the file to Trailer.avi make a note first on paper so you can change it back if it does no work

woodchip 21:29 31 May 2004

PS when you have done it, just double click the file

cagey 21:57 31 May 2004

crx, installed codec Xvid and also Realplayer10GOLD after following your instructions.
woodchip, tried your suggestions.

Unfortunately I still cannot see or hear anything, further ideas please? I do appreciate all your help.

Mo H 22:05 31 May 2004

what is the trailer and where did you get it from. I will emulate your prob before trying further suggestions. Ta

jonnytub 22:09 31 May 2004

if you got the free divx player from the link above, run spybot and ad aware to rid yourself of the gator and alexandra spyware that comes "free"

cagey 22:56 31 May 2004

Downloaded and ran "AviPreview", it looks as if the file is corrupt so I have removed it from my computer, all my other AVI files run OK. Thanx everyone for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?