a plague of viruses

PvG 22:46 29 Aug 2006

I have just reinstalled XP and the first time I went online to update my antivirus I was already infected with winamp.exe, IRC/Backdoor.srbot, Trojan Horse proxy CZN, Generic 2.de
I have run teh antivirus and the system still runs in a rebooting, rebooting sequence.
I have also run RegScrub and AVG again. Same thing happens, reboots. Can run in safe mode.
What should I do from here? Reformat C and reinstall or is there another option?
Thanks
PvG

wee eddie 22:59 29 Aug 2006

disable System Restore before you run your Scans

woodchip 23:01 29 Aug 2006

If you reloaded any Backups you could have loaded Viruses along with the backups

skidzy 23:05 29 Aug 2006

As Wee eddie says disable system restore and run your av in safe mode.Reboot and enable system restore.

PvG 23:44 29 Aug 2006

Hi
System restore off, ran Regscan and it looked like all the same (67) problems were there and resolved again.
Can't load AV in safe mode..... and still runs the rebooting sequence.
If rebooting is teh problem - or maybe just one - where is the virus?
Where from here?
PvG

skidzy 23:47 29 Aug 2006

If you are using the pc in question at the moment online,try an online virus scanner click here

skidzy 23:51 29 Aug 2006

Or these

Trojan Hunter click here

A squared click here

Ewido click here

Spybot and Adaware click here

PvG 00:11 30 Aug 2006

No, Skidzy, am using a notebook for this.
Downloaded Trojan Hunter which ran didn't find anyhting in Registry, INI file, port scan, memory scan, and no Trojan in files.
What now?
Will a reformat and reinstallation get rid of everything or is there still a chance that something is lurking somewhere?
PvG

skidzy 06:58 30 Aug 2006

If you do a clean install of windows you should be fine,but as Woodchip said earlier if you load any of your backups you may be loading the viruses again.

wee eddie 08:33 30 Aug 2006

Is that you can scan it for Virea and, with luck, remove them from your back-up before restoring it.

However the argument for Hard (On Disk) back-ups is almost as persuasive. You use the last back-up, prior to the infection.

961 08:57 30 Aug 2006

The main idea must be to download the virus scanner and its latest definition file onto a cd so that after the reinstall you can get your virus scanner installed before you go onto the internet

Avast (free) has downloads that you can use

Remember you also need a spyware scanner (or two)

Can I suggest an online sweep with SpywareDoctor before you do anything else

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone