Placing all my "My Pictures file on CD

Samuel Gee 13:25 29 Jul 2006

Hi All
Please dont think this question is too basic.I need to place all the contents of My Pictures file onto CD.Leaving a blank file to use,at present its got out of hand but I dont want to lose any of the photos etc.Thanks in anticipation,I am using XP.
Regards,
Sam

Jak_1 13:30 29 Jul 2006

Easy, just copy the contents of 'My Pictures' to cd then delete the contents after first checking that the pics have burned to the cd properly.

SB23 14:38 29 Jul 2006

I would also suggest that you put them onto A cd-r, as last year I put about 200 pictures onto a cd-rw and lost the lot. When I needed to access the pictures again, for some reason the disc was unreadable.
I posted on the forum, and a few have had similar problems with cd-rw.

Stuartli 15:15 29 Jul 2006

CD-RW disks have a very much lower reflectivity level than CD-Rs and many optical drives may have problems reading them.

Samuel Gee

You can create as many folders/sub folders as you wish in My Pictures - you don't have to leave a sub-folder (or file as you appear to term it) empty to add new pix files.

If you use a CD-R in multisession mode you can keep adding new pix files until the disk is full (make a second copy as well for obvious reasons); you then start a new disk in multisession mode.

Gongoozler 15:34 29 Jul 2006

The procedure I use is to make copies to CD-RW as a backup for the pictures I have stored on my hard drive in a folder I call "My Photos", until I have about 700M. I then copy the contents of the hard drive folder to two CD-R disks, before moving them to an archive folder on my hard drive and emptying the "My Photos" folder. This is because even CD-R disks deteriorate. I check the disks periodically, and if I should find one corrupted then I have the other to make a duplicate. I agree that instead of CD-RW I could use multisession CD-R, but old habits die hard ;-).

Samuel Gee 19:09 29 Jul 2006

Hi,Thank you all I will read and digest.The problem I get is it wont write a disc ,the message comes up Reduce the size by 700 mb as its to large ! How do you know how big your total "My Pictures" is ?
Sam

johnnyrocker 19:18 29 Jul 2006

edit/select all and in the left hand side you should see a total number and size.

johnny.

Gongoozler 20:23 29 Jul 2006

The method I use is to right click on the folder and select "Properties". The box then tells me the size of the folder and how many pictures. I also know that the pictures from my 3.2Mp camera average 800K each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?