Pixel problem

grumbledore 12:02 19 Nov 2006

Hi, a few days ago I noticed my desktop background's pixels were slightly wrong. it's hard to explain so please stick with me. There is a pattern of pixels which flickers constantly all over the screen, and when I open a browser window all of the links flicker and show up in the wrong colour. Images are also affected by individual almost random pixels showing the negative of what colour the image is supposed to be.

My system is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-71 running WinXP Pro. The graphics card is an onboard Neomagic Magicgraph 256AV.

I run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AVG Anti-Virus and Zonealarm so I reckon my system is pretty clean. Today I also downloaded and ran Ewido and it confirmed that my system had nothing really nasty on it.

Variously I've tried tweaking all the display options, rolling back and updating the driver for the graphics card and in general messing about with different settings to see what if anything would have an effect.

I'm not a novice with computers but I'm certainly no expert so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried running a dead pixel fixer and it hasn't worked.

I'm pretty certain that the fault is software based but I can't find anything wrong.

Can anyone help?

I've also run Dead Pixel Locator from click here

and it shows no dead or stuck pixels.

grumbledore 15:58 19 Nov 2006

Can't anyone help me?

freaky 17:38 19 Nov 2006

If you consider the problem is software, then use System Restore to an earlier time. If it is OK you know it was software related.

Otherwise it is probably caused by a malfunction in the MOB on-board graphics.

grumbledore 18:00 19 Nov 2006

freaky, I've had this for over a week now and I can't get a system restore beyond when I had the problem.

Any idea how I could find out if it is the on-board graphics?

freaky 18:56 19 Nov 2006

Go to system restore > click restore to an earlier time > it should the show a list of restore points and the date. Select a date when the computer was OK > click restore.

As regards fault with on-board graphics, this could only be checked by the MOB manufacture using a test-rig.

Alternatively, you could attach a new graphics card to the MOB, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS and hopefully it would be OK.

grumbledore 19:05 19 Nov 2006

My system restore only goes back to Wednesday the 15th. I don't have any restore points farther back than that and the graphics have been playing up since the Wednesday or Thursday before that.

With regards to hooking up a different graphics card, it's a laptop and I wouldn't know where to start.

It's also a very old laptop and the cost of going to the manufacturer of the MOB would probably be more expensive than buying a new notebook.

freaky 20:14 19 Nov 2006

If it's old and you spend money repairing it, then something else might go wrong.

In the circumstances I would replace it with either another laptop or a PC.

You would get better value for money buying a PC, and they are much easier to repair/update.

Is there any particular reason for a laptop?

grumbledore 20:31 19 Nov 2006

I've got a desktop, I just prefer to use the laptop. Plus as it's a Toughbook I don't have to worry too much about the kids being around it.

freaky 20:47 19 Nov 2006

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is a Toughbook laptop compared to a normal one ?

I have an old laptop which I use when visiting clients, but prefer using a PC.

grumbledore 21:45 19 Nov 2006

click here

This isn't the same model, mine is a lot older but you can get the idea. It's built for outdoor work, constructions sites and the like. It can take a pretty good kicking and still keep going.

freaky 09:13 20 Nov 2006

Interesting - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?