Pipex + Nrton Antivirus + Pop3 Email + Outlook Exp

TAFF P 17:36 31 Aug 2005

Hi All,
I recently went over to Pipex as my broadband ISP, I also purchased Norton Antivirus 2005.
With my previpous ISP (NTL) I had no problem using Outlook Express to access my Pop3 Email, but whenever I try to access my Pop3 email using Outlook Express now I get the folllowing:-

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: blah blah blah Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

The only way I can get my Pop3 Email is to disable the Email virus scanning option in Norton anti virus. When I spoke to Pipex, their really helpful advice was to keep doing it this way, as they are blaming Norton. My response was that by the time I get the Email and then try to scan it, the potential virus islready in my PC.

Other than this I am happy with Pipex, and don't really want to change ISP again, Can anybody pease help with some advice?

pk470 17:48 31 Aug 2005

I had the same problem with AOL after i installed NSW and Norton firewall i was unable to resolve the problem got rid of everything Norton that included Antivirus or Norton firewall i've now changed to AVG PRO and Zone alarm soho problem now resolved.

Eric10 19:05 31 Aug 2005

There is something about it here. click here

palinka 11:00 01 Sep 2005

Can't offer any advice as such, but I use Pipex with AVGFree, Sygate firewall (OS is ME); no problems.

Stuartli 11:08 01 Sep 2005

Bit ironic that. Pipex used to provide the full version of Norton free of charge to its subscribers until about a couple of years back...:-)

When the offer ceased I switched to AVG Free and, about three months ago, Avast!

TAFF P 15:33 02 Sep 2005

Many thanks to pk470, Eric10, palinka, and Stuartli. I now have enough info to make a sensible decision on my next step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?