Pipex Email % sign or @ sign?

IanS1 15:52 25 Oct 2008

Guys - I have the same Pipex email problems as everyone else.

I read all the threads where you say the solution is to swap the " % " sign for an " @ " sign.

I presume you mean to change % to @ in my "Email Password ID"?

But I just don’t know how to find the screen with my Email Password ID? Can someone please talk me though that?

Just to clear - I'm using Windows Mail, and my email address is [email protected]. But on my original registration paperwork (ie the stuff pipex originally sent to me), I notice that I also have an Email User ID which is the one with the %-sign, ie username%dsl.pipex.com ... I pressume that’s what I’m supposed to change? But where is that Mail ID stored? How can I access that to change it for the @-sign??

I'm using Vista Home Premium by the way.

My email has been down since last Thursday, and it was also down for 4 days a fortnight ago. Plus - pipex are taking so long to answer the phone that I've been completely unable to contact them at all.

The error message I get is as follows (ie when trying to open Windows Mail) -

Account: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Login failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Really appreciate any help.

Ian.

IanS1 15:55 25 Oct 2008

Correction - in the above I meant says “Email User ID” (not Email Password ID) .... ie my Email User Id is username%dsl.pipex.com

Ian.

albert108 16:51 25 Oct 2008

Telecaster
Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express ? If so click on Tools - Accounts - Mail tab - highight "pop.dsl.pipex" click on Properties (on the right) , then Servers tab, then under Incoming Mail Server, Acount name you will see the % sign in the window.
Changing the % age sign to @ fixed the problem for me also.

skidzy 17:12 25 Oct 2008

Not sure if im reading this correctly,apologies if i am.
However,this looks like you machine is not set to uk.

Start/control panel/Classic view/regional and language (looks like a globe) and set everything to uk.

Eric10 18:10 25 Oct 2008

You say "I'm using Windows Mail".

For Windows Mail you right-click the name of your mail account at the left and choose Properties from the context menu. The information you are looking for is on the Servers tab of the resulting dialogue box.

Stuartli 18:28 25 Oct 2008

In my Pipex (dialup) e-mail configuration, it's the Username that uses the % sign i.e. Tools>Accounts>highlight Pipex account>Properties>Servers tab>Incoming Mail Server>Account name (in my case it's two letters and two numbers and then %dial.pipex.com).

The POP3 and SMTP are listed as

pop.dial.pipex.com

and

smtpauth.dial.pipex.com

Also see:

click here

Halmer 08:12 26 Oct 2008

without altering now anyway!

Stuartli 09:14 26 Oct 2008

>>where you say the solution is to swap the " % " sign for an " @ " sign.>>

This change came about quite some time ago.

sunny staines 09:46 26 Oct 2008

any one got a management phone number for pipex please, get frustrated with staff on normal number.

IanS1 09:59 26 Oct 2008

Guys ... thanks very much to everyone for the replies above ... I held off changing anything until last night, ie just to see if Pipex would fix things automatically. But they did not.

So late last night I decided to follow your suggestions, however, in doing that I immediately realised that the email screen kept prompting me for a password & user ID, where I'd been just typing my username without all the extensions .... so I just tried putting in my full Email User ID with the % swapped for an @ sign, and that immediately got the mail working again without having to reset that ID permanently anywhere on my machine (I don't know if that sentence makes sense to you lol).

Anyway, it now seems to be working again, although there was no automatic fix from Pipex (at least up until late last night).

Of course that produced a deluge of old mail which has apparently been building up on the Pipex server over the past few days ... strangely many of the messages are repeated 2 or 3 times, but anyway ....

.... I think it's pretty bad that Pipex have now done this twice in the last 3 weeks without emailing customers to warn them ... in total I've lost about 9 days of email access in the last 3 weeks.

I guess I should look for another ISP.

But main thing - thanks to everyone above who advised me how to fix things.

Cheers, Ian.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone