Pioneer DVR 115D only recognises cd's

BigAl127 23:03 23 Feb 2008

My pioneer 115 re-writer bought yesterday and fitted today won't recognise any kind of dvd disc (tried dvd-r, dvd+r,dvd-rw and dvd+rw)when either reading or writing.

It will happily read & write to cd's.

When I look in my computer the drive shows as dvdrw, as soon as I insert a dvd disk, the drive light flashes, but my computer then shows the drive as a cd drive. Then when I try to write to the dvd disk, it says there's no disk in the drive.

Any advice appreciated.

Technotiger 23:16 23 Feb 2008

I think you need DVD Player software installed for XP to recognise DVD's.

click here

BigAl127 23:27 23 Feb 2008

I have Powerdvd installed, but surely if I hadn't, I should still be able to write to appropriate dvd disks. Or am I mistaken?

MCE2K5 23:37 23 Feb 2008

Have you got DVD Burning software, If not try this, It's Free, click here, Ignore Expires by date, It's still Active (No pun intended).

BigAl127 23:43 23 Feb 2008

Yes, i've got several burning software programs, and although I normally use Nero, I get the same problem everytime. Will try your recommendation anyway and let you know on that one.

What I don't understand is why "My Computer" reverts the drive to CD Drive whenever a dvd disk is inserted.

woodchip 00:04 24 Feb 2008

Better than my new Multi write DVD it does not read any discs. Just say's there corrupt. Am taking it back for a refund

Technotiger 08:35 24 Feb 2008

Another thought, are your Motherboard connections SATA or EIDE? because this drive is EIDE only.

BigAl127 10:30 24 Feb 2008

Motherboard connections are IDE.

Have just been on google and found the info below regarding standard IDE (40 wires) and Ultra DMA IDE (80 wires). I'm not sure which type of IDE cable is fitted.Could this have any bearing on the problem?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 24 Feb 2008

disable the built-in Windows CD-burning software. Doing this avoids any conflicts that may arise between the two programs (Windows CD-burning software and third party DVD burning software such as Nero).

The service is called the imapi CD-writing service, and it's disabled in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Services.

eedcam 11:07 24 Feb 2008

Dont have any dvd by anychance that can lock you out at times

BigAl127 16:40 24 Feb 2008

Haven't got Anydvd installed.

Drive is now working with DVD-r disks, but still no joy with +r disks or with rewritables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?