Pioneer DVD 108 read problem

User-84C69DB0-EED7-447D-8A80E5256D755B90 11:27 06 Feb 2005

Just installed my Pioneer 108 DVD writer. There was no driver but I understand Windows provides this. Got the latest firmware. After initial problems I have now been able to burn a load of photos but I still can't get the player to play a DVD.

I've tried autoplay and manually trying to view a DVD through Windows Media player. I've tried different disks without success. One comes with its own player and give the following error.

"Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem " I've tried changing the settings but this does not resolve the problem.

I also note in the bios that the DVD player is seen but I can't seem to set it as a boot up device (like I had with the CD Rom previously).

JonnyTub 11:31 06 Feb 2005

do you have a dvd decoder installed ?

well I haven't installed one myself - is it likely I haven't got one then?. How would I check and if I haven't got one where could I get one?

JonnyTub 11:45 06 Feb 2005

I wouldn't personally know where to get one from however i do know there are free ones out there which i'm sure someone could advise on

Thanks Jonny. You were quite right, I did need a decoder - happened to have a disk, installed and DVD's play fine. Thanks for the pointer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017