PIONEER 109 and 108 drives support DVD-RAM?

SEASHANTY 12:15 07 Feb 2005

Can anyone who has either of the above Pioneer burners please confirmthat will actually burn to DVD-RAM in addition to DVDRW. Pioneer Tech Dept have sent me an email today stating that these drives support dvd-ram, provided that they are removed from the caddy, if using this type. Crucially they did not confirm that these drives will burn to dvd-ram which is what I asked them. This website doesn't confirm that either
click here

SEASHANTY 14:04 07 Feb 2005

Yes - that's why I gave the link. But as the specs for the 109 were not finished when he wrote that info I wasn't sure if they had updated these. Have asked the reviewer "Flash" for the latest info. No doubt he has the latest firmware. Found his "related link" on meanings of CAV, ZCLV etc (bottom of the webpage) quite interesting.

SEASHANTY 14:21 08 Feb 2005

Flash has confirmed that none of the Pioneer drives will write to ram discs. Which leaves just the LG
drives, including the LG GSA 4163B, as the only PC drives capable of writing to dvd-ram.

SEASHANTY 14:18 09 Feb 2005

I have read that Japan has a massive dvd-ram market and that it is increasing also in the U.K. Granted that this has not been so successful in the USA. The dvd-ram discs are so versatile, however, and give such excellent quality on video recordings that I am sure it will be here for quite some time. Given also the major support on this format from Panasonic, JVC (the inventor of VHS), Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung. DVD-RAM is also supported by the DVD Forum.

SEASHANTY 15:15 09 Feb 2005

The companies I mention are now all making home DVD recorders which support DVD-RAM. They evidently know where the market is.

SEASHANTY 19:37 09 Feb 2005

My Panasonic DMR-E85 already has an internal 80GB HDD. I seldom use this as I prefer to use Ram discs.
You can edit the ram discs on the home recorder insert delete frame by frame if you so wish. As to ram discs only playing on the machine they are recorded on these discs will play on ANY dvd recorder which supports ram, and, as you know the Panasonic DVD PLAYERS. Of the manufacturers I have noted above ONLY Pansonic made PC writers which supported ram so I don't see how you can say that they have all given up on this. No doubt if I setup my LG GSA 4040 PC writer I can play the Panasonic or JVC ram discs on that (oh and also edit) - not that I see the need as I can do this just as quickly on the home DVD recorders. The edited discs can then be copied to a DVD-R, should I so wish. The latter may be OK but home movies but I don't use it for that. Yes - dvd-ram has many advantages click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?