pins on hard drive

fire 09:59 16 May 2003

on of the pins on my hard drive which ide connects to is pushed right in is this repairable or would it be covered under warranty....thanks

DieSse 10:47 16 May 2003

They're almost impossible to repair - i know, I've tried.

Whether it's a valid warranty claim depends on whether it was supplied like this, or whether you did it (be honest now!! ;-))

At least one of the pins is sometimes missing (centre of the bottom row) - this is for use with some data cables which have a blanked hoe in the connector. This pin is not use (of course) - so it may not matter of this is the pin you are talking about.

-pops- 11:19 16 May 2003

As DieSse says, very often pin 20 in the middle is omitted as the blanked off part of the connector cable keys in with this to prevent wrong fitting.

A number of the pins on an EIDE connector are "ground" and the device can function without them.

If you really have a pin missing (other than #20), check out click here and open the pdf of the product manual pages 5 - 1 to 5 - 2 and match up your bent pin with the diagram/listing. It doesn't matter that the drive may not be your one - the pin layout is standard.

Brian

keith-236785 12:06 16 May 2003

you could try VERY CAREFULLY bending the pins straight and pushing the cable into place on the hard drive WARNING THOUGH IF THE PIN BREAKS YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO THROW THE DRIVE AWAY SO USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND AS A LAST RESORT. i have done this and got away with it....good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?