Pinnacle file can cause windows explorer crash

Joe R 22:05 24 May 2006

I have had problems recently with windows explorer crashing, whenever I opened a folder containing multimedia files.

There was no particular type of file that was causing the problem, as mpg, avi, xvid, divx and any other files, in any folders caused the same problem.

I formatted my PC a few weeks ago, and the problem had dissappeared, until last night, when I installed pinnacle studio9, to do some video editing.

After working in the program for an hour or so, I went into a folder where I had saved the files, I was working on, when, explorer showed an error report, and said it was closing. I typed the error details down, and searched the Ms knowledge base, with no success.

I then proceeded to uninstall pinnacle, rebooted and ran regscrubXP, went into the same folder, but had the same response from explorer. This time though, the error report had named a file called 4codedecoder.dll as the culprit.

I ran a file search, and found two instances of this file in my C:/program files/pinnacle folder, (which I had not deleted after uninstalling).

I deleted the full folder, and this has stopped the problem happening again. I have e-mailed pinnacle, and sent the error report to Microsoft, to try and find out what is causing this, as I have used this program for a while now, with no problems, until the last couple of months.

It may be a problem caused by a Ms critical update patch, but at the moment I have no way of being sure.

I'm sorry about the long-winded post, but I have seen two or three posts recently with people having the same type of problem, and with a bit of luck, it may help someone else.

The following is all the info I could find about this dll file. Regards Joe.

click here

woodchip 22:23 24 May 2006

Suggest you put your Windows CD in Drive and if XP from Run box type SFC /SCANNOW to fix corrupt files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?