Pinnacle burning software makes a SCSI drive.

Oldcodger 16:42 17 Nov 2004

I recently unstalled a Samsung DVD-RW which works OK. However, when I installed the Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD burning software, I found it had generated two ROM drives in Dev. Manager - one, the normal IDE and two, a SCSI drive.
Even worse, it had taken the drive letter "F" which I had been using for an extra partition and consequently removed the access to that partition.
I got round the problem by disabling the scsi drive and renaming letters etc. but eventually I took the Pinnacle out and I've Nero - that's OK.
My question is, why would it make that SCSI drive (a "phantom" drive?) when I have no SCSI devices or support of any kind on my system?
Kit - Win. XP Pro., Asus A7V8X-X m'bd.,Athlon 2400 proc. The rest is std. generic stuff.

rawprawn 17:23 17 Nov 2004

Pinnacle does create an extra drive to facilitate file transfer. It has done it with me. To be honest I don't like Pinnacle, and I use Nero, but I am loathe just to jetison it after having paid.I find it slow and not really user friendly.

Oldcodger 21:19 17 Nov 2004

rawprawn - I agree - I don't like Pinnacle either now. Still, I'd like a little more info on why they feel the need to create a 'whole scsi drive' just to improve(?) file transfer. It's got me really curious now.
Thanks so far.

Oldcodger 20:08 02 Dec 2004

Well, I finally got a response from Pinnacle yesterday. All they said was much the same as rawprawn - a virtual drive to keep file in transit on - or words to that effect.
As the point is now only academic, I'm going to mark this thread as 'resolved'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?