Alienware 17 R4 2017 review
Earler this afternoon, i was happily removing adware and other nasties!!!
I had also defragged my D drive partition, and was about to praise myself for my good housekeeping routine.
But after a restart, I can no longer browse the internet.
I tried doing a System restore to go back in case i had deleted something important - but once again.....System restore could not rollback (drat !!!)
So, several hours later, ive been trying to connect to my Dlink router, but to no avail.
Eventually, i managed to ping it, after changing my ip addresses.
But, i still cannot browse webpages, or even access the Router Web-based managment screen. Yet I can ping the other systems on my home network.
Help!! What could i have done wrong???
Crappy Recovery disks are evil... and if i have to lose my Partitions and my data, i will cry.
I ran the Winsock repair tool, but with not much success, as the ICS service was now not working.
With a bit of searching i found more resources to the error.
My problem was caused my the removal of webHancer, by adaware.
The removal of the program also removed the registry files it had modified.
See here for more info - click here
I set about refreshing the Winsock using the DOS command : "netsh winsock reset".
This did the trick.
I then reinstalled my TCP/IP file, which had also gone Kapput!! I added the new Protocol, and reinstalled the file from C:/WINDOWS/INF.
I inserted all my IP address settings as before, and hey presto - Im online again!!!!!
It took a lot of headbanging and anger to come to grips with my sudden loss of internet browsability - caused by a simple adaware scan.
Please be aware of WebHancer.... remove it manually and say goodbye to Browsing the net....
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.