Picture Slide Show - every 24 hours?

Marky_Bhoy 11:40 17 Feb 2004

I have an area on my home page that I want to display pictures. I have seven of them -one for each day of the week.

How can I make these pictures change from one picture to the next once a day or every 24 hours?

(I have macromedia MX.)

Mark

Taran 12:06 17 Feb 2004

The simplest way is to just manually change the file daily. It will take a few moments of your time and requires no further scripting.

The only real solution I can think of for automating it involves storing the images in an online database and scheduling their change using some nifty scripting.

You would need either MySQL or Access/Microsoft SQL database support with either PHP or ASP pages to run the scripting.

Alternative methods could include using a JavaScript redirect where a site visitors browser identifies the system day/date and redirects them to that days page based on that timestamp. This is clumsy and does not work well if you have international visitors who may call a cached version of your page from a network server rather than access the actual page in live time and it would also require all seven pages to be present and correct at all times to select from, as well as relying on the vagaries of a visitors web browser and its ability to handle your JavaScript to begin with.

You could modify one of the free banner management scripts from this site click here to do what you want, but again, they mostly rely on your web hosts underlying database and dynamic page support to work properly.

The short answer is yes you can do it and no there is no simple way that I can think of off-hand to acheive it.

Forum Editor 18:12 17 Feb 2004

as Taran says - it's a matter of moments to make the change.

Marky_Bhoy 19:12 17 Feb 2004

Thanks for your advice Taran. MySQL and PHP is something I will be learning soon. Once I have learned it then maybe I will figure out a way to automatically change the picture for me.

In the mean time I will just change it manually.

The main reason for this was to give the impression that the website was constantly being updated/changed and without me having to do it manually. The website that it is for does not really need much updating anyway - it is merely an online information sheet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?