Picture saved to desktop

Dirty Dick 19:26 04 May 2005

I have downloaded a picture to my Laptop's Desktop, thinking it would be easy to delete it later, but I can't find any way of getting rid of it

Any ideas, please

Thanks

DD

pauldonovan 19:46 04 May 2005

You want to remove it so the file no longer exists or just change the picture there?

Go through the process of setting a different picture to be your desktop and if I remember correctly it will replace it.

Dirty Dick 19:58 04 May 2005

I want to remove the picture, either from the system or from the desktop. I don't think I set it as my wallpaper (is this the same as the background?). If I right click on the desktop, then Properties, and the I try changing the background, the picture just keeps setting there.

mattyc_92 20:01 04 May 2005

Yes the Wallpaper is the "desktop background" image

Just delete the following file:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp

But REMEMBER to change your wallpaper first

Technotiger 20:04 04 May 2005

Hi, Any pictures downloaded to pc/laptop normally go into your My Pictures folder - is it in there, if so just right-click on its thumbnail and then choose delete.

You could then go to Properties again as you did before and reset your desktop picture.

Cheers.

Dirty Dick 20:21 04 May 2005

The picture was copied and pasted into a word document, then I dragged and dropped the picture onto the desktop (thinking it would be easy to use from there, and when finished delete it. I think its a GIF.

mattyc_92 20:24 04 May 2005

You have activated "Active Desktop", just disable it (rigth-click desktop and select properties..... Select the "Display" tab and click onto "Customise Desktop" button.... Now click onto the "Web" tab and untick ALL tick boxes and click onot OK)

Dirty Dick 20:55 04 May 2005

Thanks, worked like a dream. Only "Display" was actually "Desktop' on the tabs.

Thanks to everone

DD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?