Picture file apparently damaged..anything be done?

edennorman 17:45 13 Dec 2005

Hello

I have just tried to retrieve a vital picture...a .TIF file.

None of the pictures in the folder will open...they seem to have been damaged in some way...I get various messages about truncated file length and "This is not a photoshop document" etc.

Is there anything I can do to open this picture somehow...it is unfortunately very important.

Is there software that can repair damged files, so that at least they can be opened?

Thank you

eden

Diemmess 17:53 13 Dec 2005

You say none (in a folder) will open.
Time to experiment with nothing to lose in trying.
Can you "see" the individual files in this folder if you approach through My Computer?

If you can see the individual files, try downloading Picasa and see what can be seen/or not among the thumbnails there.

Diemmess 18:01 13 Dec 2005

PS to previous post
Picasa, for a freebie is amazing. It doesn't seem to mind what is offered or what format. It will detect any picture in any application and you can then print from it or save_it_as.

Hopefully it is the subscript which is wrong rather than the basic file itself.

Hamish 18:27 13 Dec 2005

As stated by Diemmess to great click here

Pidder 18:29 13 Dec 2005

? Irfanview seems to be able to open most picture files

AubreyS 18:36 13 Dec 2005

Like Pidder says, Irfanview (free) helped me with a similar problem. click here

The Spires 19:31 13 Dec 2005

Try this click here

edennorman 19:48 13 Dec 2005

Diemmess: I can locate the pictutes through My Computer, there are other file types in this particular folder, none of which will open...though in another folder..further into the directory tree...their are similar picture files which open with no problem at all.

I have just downlaoded Picasa but it did not pick up the pictures...it was as if they did not exist to the software...so I am going to try infranview.

Well..infranview didn't work either...but when I tried to open one of the damaged picture files it threw up an error message which might throw some light on this...if someone knew what it meant..if anything?

This is the error message:

Can't read file header, unknown file format.

Any other suggestions good people?

eden

edennorman 19:52 13 Dec 2005

The Spires: Thanks for the link...this software has a specific file recovery filter which should prove useful, downloading it now, and Il'e try it.

eden

Diemmess 22:33 13 Dec 2005

Just to bump this again.
Admire your persistence, it really seems something has been lost or wrongly "indexed."

The ray of hope from what you say, seems to be that the trouble might lie with that particular folder, rather than the file type within.

Its a bit naieve, but I suppose you have tried copying a file to somewhere away from the folder and then trying to open it from there.
Or even pasting into photo shop after copying to the clipboard from the 'new' location?

VoG II 22:36 13 Dec 2005

If you have Microsoft Office, I have found that Microsoft Photo Editor can recover corrupt files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?