Picture distortion on Sony DRU-510A DVD read/write

Shappy 12:32 12 Oct 2003

I recently purchase a Sony DRU-510A DVD read/writer (multi-format), to replace the DVD reader in my machine previously, so all settings, including jumper remained the same.

Running the drive on an AMD XP1800+ processor, XP Home, 512Mb RAM.

My PC recognises the drive and can even open up text and html files on the software DVD which came with the drive but I have two problems.

Playing DVDs, using Power DVD version 5, gives picture distortion (picture stops for a few seconds and squares of distorted picture), and the exe install file on the DVD won't run.

I am concluding that there's nothing wrong with the physical install, as the drive can be seen and files even opened from a DVD, but some setting somewhere is not quite right.

I've trawled all the Sony web-sites for help and, as a last resort mailed their technical support, but any ideas what might be causing picture distortion ??

vinnyT 14:27 12 Oct 2003

I would try uninstalling your Powerdvd software, reboot, then uninstall the dvd drive from device manager (or whatever it is in xp), reboot. When your comp restarts it will find the *new* hardware and reinstall the drivers for it, reboot. Now install Powerdvd again and hopefully it will work fine.

Shappy 07:55 13 Oct 2003

Thanks for suggestion vinnyT - tried all that and no improvement

Any other ideas ? I guess the new DVD may be faulty, so I'll see what Sony say as well. Just wondered if there was any test software around to identify problem.

vinnyT 15:51 13 Oct 2003

Sorry only pop in now and again.

Is the dvd drive on a diff cable to your hdrive (both main and/or 2nd, ie hdrive on ide1, dvd on ide2). If it's not can you change it so the dvd is on a cable on its' own. I know that's fairly obvious, but sometimes the obviuos is overlooked.

This site may be able to help, it's called DVDAnswers

click here

never having used it (don't have a dvd drive, still in stone age) I cannot say how good it is, but worth looking at anyway. They have forums(?) for both hardware and software.

Hope this is of some help.

pepe 15:54 13 Oct 2003

Go to the Sony support site. There is a free utility to down load and test the drive, also firmware updates are available there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?