Picking up other wireless conection

alanstan 10:28 30 Dec 2005

Can you please help me??
I am still quite a novice on my PC and having just purchased a new desktop PC which has a built in wireless connection everytime I switch my PC on I get a message from the small icon saying that I have detected a unsecured Linksys wireless network an have a medium strenth signal,

Now I am a little worried that my PC may not be secure and that whoever owns this other network may be able to get into my PC or use my internet connection,

Bearing in mind I am still in the novice stage is there a way to block this other PC and make my PC secure??? Thanks

smy13 10:37 30 Dec 2005

when you look at your own connection does it tell you that it is secured by either WPA, or WEP, if it is your data is secure and no one can see it. You'll always pick up signals from networks that are set up around yours looking at mine this morning I can see 5. The issue is for who ever is running the unsecured network to worry about.

alanstan 10:47 30 Dec 2005

smy13
Thanks I have checked and I am secure by WPA, I have no idea who is running the unsecure network, I think it may be someone quite close because I am picking up a mediun strenth signal if I find out who it is I will tell them they are unsecure........

smy13 11:03 30 Dec 2005

good idea, I would say they'd have to be pretty close banging out that kind of signal strength
Happy New Year

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?