picasa3 resolution on save

awest3 16:00 24 Nov 2009

I'm scanning some old photos in and want to send them via email to my brother. He wants to print them at their original resolution size.300ppi.
When I scan them they have a size of approx 1.4 meg but when I save them using Picasa3 they end up at about 80kb...this is before emailing. I know that on email you can send either at reduced size or full size....but my size is now 80kb instead of 1.4meg. I'm puzzled because I'm sure I was able to save at full size previous to Picasa3 i.e in Picasa 2.
As always any help would be appreciated.

Al

MrNewName 16:04 24 Nov 2009

Check the Picasa settings for saving JPEGs - sounds like it is compressing them a lot.

Save as TIFF files if you can - that will mean they are better quality.

awest3 16:11 24 Nov 2009

thanks for your swift reply...but I can't find anywhere that allows you to say what compression to use.....

MrNewName 16:13 24 Nov 2009

Sorry - I don't use it so can't help.

If I have to scan, I use Irfanview and it does all that I need.

awest3 16:18 24 Nov 2009

I tend to use Picasa3 for ease of use, quick editing and to keep track of photos..also use photoshop elements..but its overkill for what I want to do...maybe I'll use infranview then import into picasa..

Thanks

awest3 16:18 24 Nov 2009

for infranview read irfanview

hssutton 16:20 24 Nov 2009

Go to "Tools">>"Options" there you can specify the pixel size up to 1600 or select full size

awest3 17:10 24 Nov 2009

Thanks for this...this is just for email though. my pictures are scanned at 1.4meg but get to picasa at 80kb..so its before emial gets involved...

tullie 17:21 24 Nov 2009

You dont have to use picasa to send the photos.

awest3 17:48 24 Nov 2009

Thanks for thge reply..I think I am not explaining myself properly...

email is a red herring..so to speak

The scanner creates a picture at 1.4meg but when it is saved its 80kb...this is before email..

I'm begining to think its not Picasa but the scanner..I've just saved a 1.4meg photo into word and looking at it with explorer it says its just 121kb...

I'll have to research it some more..thanks for your comments.

awest3 18:06 24 Nov 2009

Not resolved but I need to ask the question about scanners rather than picasa..
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?