physical memory dump

sony-vaio-lfc 17:11 28 Aug 2009

Need some help if anyone can offer any..

Basically, my laptops screwed.

When i go to turn it on, the vaio sign comes up, and then it will come up saying there was a problem with your last shutdown blah blah.. start windows automatically, start windows in safe mode, start windows with the last known good config etc.. but no matter what i click on it will then go to the windows xp page where it looks like it is loading up with the green loader, and then it will just stop, a blue screen will flash up about physical memory dump and then it will restart again, the vaio sign will come up, and then the options how to start up windows due to problem with your last shutdown.

Ive downloaded the laptops recovery disk and put it on CD but when i put that in it doesn't seem to read it.

The only other option i can think of is give it to PC world but they charge 97 quid just for a data recovery so god knows what it will cost if i give it to them.

Any ideas? Cheers

howard64 19:15 28 Aug 2009

do not go to pc world!! Do you have back up of data etc? if so you need to go into the bios and set the first boot device to cd/dvd drive. This will then let the recovery disk run and be read. The clean install will wipe everything from your drive. If you do not have a backup of your data you will need to get your hard drive read on another machine to copy your data off then you can use the recovery disk.

sony-vaio-lfc 17:36 29 Aug 2009

no, don't have any back up data..

i'll have to get it sorted, is there any way i can do it myself?

asnd how do i get into bios?
thanks

LimestoneRock 18:01 29 Aug 2009

If you have any hardware attached to your laptop,remove and then try booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?