PHP/MySQL - Hands On Tutorial Guidance Needed

thegreypanther 16:47 02 Nov 2008

Can anybody please recommend a clear and easy to understand tutorial on
a) Installing Apache / PHP / MySQL onto my Windows Vista 64 bit PC
and
b) Learning to use PHP and set up an on-line database.

I have a copy of O'Reilly's "Learning PHP and MySQL", but I haven't got beyond attempting, - and failing, to instal PHP.
I'm going nuts with this business.

Forum Editor 18:17 02 Nov 2008

PHP click here

MySQL click here

Apache PHP and MySQL click here

gerri-atrick 22:40 03 Nov 2008

What is it you are trying to do? the reason im asking is that i was looking for a way to have an interactive website that lots of others could contribute to and partisapate in, i did look into Apache/PHP/and MYSQL also bought the book .......a very hard read and brain numbingly boring :( so basically binned it for XAMPP and Drupal, exampp instals all you need on your computer (apache/php/mysql)to run a testing server and make a database, while drupal (content managment system) gives me all the structure i need.
Get "building powerful and robust websites with drupal 6" form your local library its an easier read and easier to follow.
I hope this helps :) if not then an other possible book is "how to do everything with php & mysql" and it so happens i have one copy going quite cheap ;)

thegreypanther 23:37 03 Nov 2008

Many thanks gerri-atrick.
What I am after is to add a searchable database to a website that is dedicated to the memorials to, and graves, men of the Yorkshire Regiment in WW1.
click here
The are currently over 4,400 names on this website, and to make the website of general use it is essential to be able to link a searchable database to these names and memorials.
I have tried O'Reilly's book "Learning PHP & MySQL" and have drawn a blank as far as successfully installing Apache & PHP goes.
Trying the suggestions of the Forum Editor, above, has drawn a similar blank. I have followed instructions to the letter, and still cannot instal Apache / PHP.
Maybe I'll have another go with Xampp.
Either that, or I'll take up stamp collecting!!

thegreypanther 13:46 04 Nov 2008

Having spent hours and hours totally failing to manually install Apache / PHP / MySQL from the "recipes" given either in O'Reilly's book or the websites provided by the Forum Editor, I finally seem to be making some sort of progress simply by using XAMPP.
click here
At least Xampp painlessly instals Apache and PHP, - and the PHP WORKS!.
My next step is to use the "How To" guide on this website,
click here
which provides a gentle introduction to creating an MySQL database.
Fingers crossed, - I may make some progress at last.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?