php tutorials?

Sir Radfordin 21:42 27 Jun 2003

I'm sure I should be able to find it but I can't get the right words!

I've decided to have a bash at some php (don't know why but its a new skill) so need to learn the basics and then build up. Been to the obvious places like php.org but its all fairly hard to follow.

Have downloaded php/apache/mysql and got them all working but its now a case of what next??

Any suggestions?

Look for PHP & Mysql for dummies...

Book from amazon, About £14 inc VAT and delivery, simple quide, teaches you enough that then the web tutorials seem a lot less complex...

Also supplies all the software needed!

Forum Editor 23:20 27 Jun 2003

that you find things a bit strange is a reflection of your unfamiliarity with the language. That will change, and the change might happen sooner if you
click here

Sir Radfordin 09:34 28 Jun 2003

Had already looked at that site - its the same as php.org

I found it was actually a fairly hard site to understand and its tutorials weren't that good. Maybe thats just me!

Picking up new things in this way isn't normally a problem for me...perhaps my brain is dead!

Pilch - I'll have a look for the book (eugh paying money!)

Any other ideas?

Forum Editor 10:10 28 Jun 2003

It's a possibility, but don't worry unduly - PHP isn't that easy when you encounter it for the first time.

If you weren't happy with my first link try this one
click here it's got a fairly basic tutorial - plus a good deal more.

harristweed 12:21 28 Jun 2003

I learned (and continue to learn) from the book. Beginning PHP4 from Wrox Press. I found it very clear easy to follow. Unfortunately Wrox are no more, but the book is still available from Amazon. If you need the practise files, I would be glad to let you have them.

bigdamouk 14:26 28 Jun 2003

I've sent you a pm over at WF

Taran 17:28 28 Jun 2003

click here for more tutorials about all things web than you can shake a stick at.

The PHP subject at the above link is covered quite well and you'll be pleased to know that if it seems complicated and confusing, that's because it is.

Scroll down the page and take a long look at the somewhat oddly named articles;

PHP 101 (Part 1) - Secret Agent Man

PHP 101 (Part 2) - Shakespeare's Rose

PHP 101 (part 3) - Chocolate Fudge And Time Machines

PHP 101 (part 4) - Look, Ma...It's Alive!

PHP 101 (part 5) - The Wonderland Factor

There are also some very good articles on e-commerce online stores and all kinds of other things at the same site.

I often point my students to it for some good groundwork reading. There are a lot of other sites that cater to PHP but the DevShed is one I'm particularly fond of and impressed with.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?