php nuke help

new_guy 18:40 20 Dec 2003

hi there i was wondering if any one could help get me started on how to do php nuke i know html but want to learn nuke is nuke like html where you can just log at it on your own pc or do you have to upload to a server im not that sure all help greatfull thanks in advance

aaron

Taran 19:29 20 Dec 2003

PHP Nuke is a content management system.

Basically, you can use it to get a web portal, forum, bulletin board, web pages (or an entire site since it features the ability to create web pages) and all kinds of other things up and running online.

As the name suggests, it is written largely in PHP, so if you want to learn about that you could do worse than read some of the intoroductory tutorials to PHP:

click here

click here

click here

click here

To use it you need a web server that runs PHP and allows MySQL databases.

For MySQL, you should start here:

click here

click here

click here

click here

PHP Nuke allows you to more or less create and deliver the majority of a site by using its functions. It runs on your web host, not on your desktop system, so you need to be online to use it or you need to run a version of it on web server software on your PC and upload any changes you make to your 'live' web on your hosted account.

It's a very comprehensive and serious system with a lot of good documentation and a large userbase and support network.

Unless you have the need of it, you may want to think before getting into it. It's pretty vast in terms of learning and features, but if you do learn it you can come up with some very good results.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go for it but if you do, go right on ahead. The advantage to PHP Nuke is that it allows you to use systems like PHP and MySQL without being a programming wiz. It removes much of your interaction with the underlying code, but for some things, you still need a fairly good grasp of PHP programming and MySQL and general database design and implementation. It's not like installing and using Dreamweaver.

I hope this has helped and not just confused you further.

Regards

Taran

Taran 19:38 20 Dec 2003

I should really have added that most of your use of PHP is where you reference a PHP file in your web from an HTML page or you write PHP code blocks into an HTML page.

The PHP software on your web server processes the PHP code commands and displays its output in the same or another HTML page.

When you reference a PHP file on your web server, it does the work on the web server using software installed on it and its output is displayed on a normal web page. You don't normally get to see the source code of PHP files like you can with a plain vanilla HTML page, although some simple functions can be embedded into HTML. For just about anything important you reference an external PHP file in the HTML page though.

I suggest you look at some of the tutorials for PHP and MySQL and make sure you understand what it is you are taking on before you download PHP Nuke. It may make you think twice or, if you're anything like me, it just makes you take a big bite out of it and carry on regardless.

Good luck.

new_guy 20:34 20 Dec 2003

thank you for answering so fast and explaining alot of things for me you answered with alot of typeing lol not just short message that wouldnt help i will look at the links you provided once again a big thanks ill have a look and who knows if i do this ill post the site for you to see thanks aaron

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone