PHP form generator

slowhand_1000 21:41 07 Dec 2004

I need to create 5 or 6 bespoke 'Quotation Request' forms for my site and what looks like 3 or 4 application forms and a few various contact forms for a friend.

Due to my knowledge of PHP being less than limited my friend and I have been looking on the net at buying a PHP form generating program between us. I've been looking at getting this program click here

Has anyone any experience of this program or can anyone recommend a another.

Cheers

slowhand_1000 21:52 07 Dec 2004

that the forms would need to be integrated into the sites web pages, as opposed to opening up in a plain page.

The reason I mention that is my hosting company (1 and 1) has amendable templates that we can use but their forms can't be integrated into the sites web pages. They have to be viewed on a plain page. The only forms that can be integrated are 'set template' forms.

Or so I am informed by their customer services after days of trying to integrate a custom form into a web page.

Taran 18:06 08 Dec 2004

Sorry, but I've never used the product myself.

Have you looked at Matt's Script Formmail at all ?

Theer are other alternatives but Matt's Script is used by many and can hadle pretty much any and all form field input.

I posted brief details in this thread click here on how to get it up and running and more can be found on the help ection of the script site it comes from click here

Obviously that's the CGI version and may not appeal to your better senses.

There is a PHP formmail script available click here and, like the CGI script above, it can handle most form field data and takes little setting up.

There is also Jack's Script click here (beware the irritating pop-ups) which is a pretty good general PHP form handler and also requires very little to coax it to life on your web server.

Creating your forms is not too hard with any web authoring program. Drop the required fields into your form page, name and ID them, arrange them on the page and link the form to the script. I don't see the need for a third party program for this since you can format a form as you would any other web page, including using CSS.

All of the scripts I've mentioned so far can handle general enquiries through textboxes, textareas, listbox selection, radio buttons and check boxes and so on.

I've not read the documentation for the program you mentioned but I seriously doubt whether you'd be on the right side of legal by splitting the cost between two or more people who both (presumably) will be installing and using it.

I'm not going to suggest that you write your own form handler. It's not rocket science and there are tutorials all over the web on how to do it, but the above scripts have some quite advanced security and error checking built into them which is beyond the scope of any beginner to PHP. They also have relatively easy 'how-to' instructions to get them working.

Taran 18:08 08 Dec 2004

I've just noticed the appalling typing errors in the above.

My apologies.

Taran 18:19 08 Dec 2004

Before what little sense I have leaves me completely, if you try Microsoft FrontPage and your web host supports FrontPage Server Extensions you can design and publish your forms to your hearts content. When you publish the forms from FrontPage it will publish them with its own form handler. You get the option to send the form submissions to an email address or database (text file) on the server.

I realise that I've concentrated more on form handlers in general, but I really don't see any great need for a 3rd party form designing product unless you plan on using it for dozens upon dozens of forms. Anything less than that can be acheived easily enough with a WYSIWYG web editor or, if you want to go the hard route, by hard coding your forms in an HTML text editor.

slowhand_1000 17:28 10 Dec 2004

Thank you for the indepth replies. Thanks also for the links to the formmails.

I've decided against the use of a 3rd party program and will have a look at configuring a form myself.

In your last post you mention using FrontPage. Although I use Dreamweaver (on a very amateur level) I do have FrontPage 2002 on my Office XP cd, so I'll go and have a look at that.

Once again thanks for the replies

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?