photoshop to printer problem

denboe 21:38 29 Oct 2007

When printing out of Photoshop to my Canon Pixma 8500 printer, the printed images are always brighter than the image on my monitor. Can I calibrate anything so that the monitor image and the printed image are of the same brightness?

DieSse 01:27 30 Oct 2007

"Can I calibrate anything so that the monitor image and the printed image are of the same brightness?"

You can use the brightness/contrast on the monitor to make it as close as you can to the printout.

Generally making screen pictures look similar to printed pictures is a "holy grail" for some processes (textile manufacturers in particular).

It's not easy, and thousands are spent on professional equipment to help. Remember the two representations of colour are entirely different - Ink is a subtractive process - mix all the colours and you get black. Monitors are additive - mix all the colours and you get white (light). See here click here

Since you can't readily affect the printing, the best bet is to change monitor settings.

Bear in mind the printing will change massively depending on the paper - and also on the ink if you're in the habit of using ink from different non-Canon manufacturers.

denboe 09:41 30 Oct 2007

Thanks DieSse, I will do as you advise and change the monitor settings.

hssutton 11:21 30 Oct 2007

First of all you must calibrate your monitor. This can be done quite effectively using freeware. click here also download Quickgamma click here.

Printers also need to be "profiled", but this can get very complicated, so initially adjust only your monitor.

One other point most home printers and for that matter most high street printers use sRGB. so if your camera permits set it to sRGB, also make sure that your imaging software is set to sRGB. This is simple when using photoshop. Just go to "Edit">>"Colour Settings and make sure it's set to sRGB.

Have a read here about Canon printer ICC Profiles click here

denboe 19:22 30 Oct 2007

Thanks hssutton, certainly makes for interesting reading on the Canon printer ICC Profiles.
Other than the brightness difference, the Canon Pixma 8500 produces the best photos I have ever seen from a domestic printer. It is not photo-paper critical! I thoroughly recommend this printer to anyone wanting to produce first class photographic results.
This printer is so good, I print-out printed documents on 'Draft'!
I will tinker with the monitor settings to get a better balance.
Thanks again for your help.

hssutton 19:43 30 Oct 2007

Home printers can certainly produce the goods, but at a cost. Not so bad if it's just a one off print. If however you need to print out a number, then such as Photobox is the way to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?