Photoshop error: File format not supported

ria 17:27 24 Jan 2006

I am trying to make a home movie on my computer with video clips from an old VHS recorder. I transferred the clips onto a recordable DVD by connecting the Recorder to my Panasonic TV and Panasonic recordable DVD/HDD player.
I have no problem playing the clips on my Computer using WMP or NeroShow time.
When I try to add them into Adobe Premiere Elements I get the error message “File format not supported”. What can I do to make it work?

jack 17:49 24 Jan 2006

Discover which formats are supported and find a converter program via Google
Even Adobe Premiere may supportit if you reinstalled and check all supportable formats.

ria 15:06 26 Jan 2006

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements twice. Unfortunately it did not give me the choice to check all supportable formats and I can’t find anything under help to do so.

De Marcus™ 15:10 26 Jan 2006
  ria 16:15 26 Jan 2006

These are the kind of files which where created on the recordable DVD. What are they? Is there any way I can get Photoshop to import the clips? I know Jack mentioned program converters, but will that work?

VIDEO_RM.BUP
VIDEO_ RM.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB

David4637 10:51 27 Jan 2006

Pinnacle Studio v943 will convert a VOB to a mpg file (it does use the BUPs and IFOs)so it can be editted on a time line etc - probably similar to Premiere. Be aware that Studio v10 has currently a bad press for not working very well. David

David4637 10:53 27 Jan 2006

The bracket above should read (it does NOT use the BUPs and IFOs). David

smurfling 14:19 27 Jan 2006

Most set top dvd recorders record using a different file structure than standard dvd, they record as dvd-vr, I use dvd decrypter to get rid of all the extra (unwanted files) and then you should be able to use the resultant files in Adobe Elements.

ria 18:31 28 Jan 2006

Just read in the pcadvisor (pcadvisor gold reward for software) that Adobe Elements 2.0 supports vob files.
Would that help me?

ria 15:25 29 Jan 2006

Downloaded and tried dvd decrypter among loads of other free and trial programs. Unfortunately Elements still wouldn’t open the files. Then I came across Alive DVD Ripper. The program converts lots of files, but most importantly I can open and edit my clips in Premier Elements now. Thanks a lot for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?