photoshop alternative plase

iqs 18:18 03 Dec 2010

Hi,
I'm looking for an alternative program to photo-shop.
Ideally it will offer similar functionally but easier to use and master.
I have used photo-shop but found it rather laborious .

Thank you

alB 18:30 03 Dec 2010

Paint Shop Pro is not a bad alternative, earlier versions can be purchased on EBay etc for around £10

click here ...alB

GaT7 18:47 03 Dec 2010

Try the latest version of PSP for free (see alB's link).

I purchased PSP v9 off eBay for a tenner a few years ago & it still easily meets & exceeds all my photo-editing needs. If you consider it & it's available on eBay for a good price, I'd suggest trying it for free first click here. Other PSP trial versions click here if you consider them instead. G

chub_tor 19:07 03 Dec 2010

You might also like to look at the free software from Serif click here if you decide to buy don't do it directly off the web site but call them and you will almost certainly find you can get one of the more recent versions at a discounted price. I have always found that haggling with them pays.

eedcam 19:18 03 Dec 2010

Before you sp[end any cash have alook at Gimp its free and virtually a scaled down version of photoshop uses many of it tutorials as well as its own
click here

MIke 19:36 03 Dec 2010

... and be prepared for regular phone calls trying to persuade you to buy their other software. Tell them to remove you from phone list and they still call in my experience. Wish I'd given them a false telephone number.

hssutton 19:38 03 Dec 2010

Gimp is very good, but a lot of people find it difficult. I would go along with chub_tor. Serif is quite easy, but be prepared for a lot of hassle from them.

I used it until recently to teach photo editing, but I'm not sure what they mean by 100% free "Your price £9.99 free" and they also want your card details.

As an alternative have a look at Photofiltre

click here

Paint.net. Which is fast becoming the favourite free download.

click here

BT 08:49 04 Dec 2010

I like Paint.Net even though I also have both Photoshop CS2 and Elements.

LastChip 11:33 04 Dec 2010

the GIMP.

GIMP is pretty much (though not totally) a replacement for Photoshop that is free and you won't get any hassle from anyone.

But, I think you should be clear in your mind about one thing. In my opinion, none of these programs are easy to use (and yes, I've tried Serif and Photoshop and many in between).

All of them have a steep learning curve. I haven't found ANY of them intuitive! But given patience, you can achieve unbelievable work in the GIMP, due to it's pure power.

It also has been around long enough, that there are many tutorials and YouTube videos on how to achieve stuff.

Put it this way, any images required for the web development I do now, are created in the GIMP. Yes, it;s truly a professional level application.

If you're going down this road and have to learn something new, you may as well go for the best there is and in the "free" category, you won't beat the GIMP. If you already have Photoshop, stay with it and invest some time. It is the best there is bar none. However, as with much commercial software, it is a constant frustration to me that various versions have "this and that" disabled and you have to pay more for plugin's to achieve what you want to do.

I appreciate that's not really what you're asking, but I've already touched on the reason I'm posting this; none of them are easy!

David4637 13:20 04 Dec 2010

You can not beat PS, All other progs fall short of it. Get to know PS, get a book(s) from the library.I have used PS for 8 years, although its a long learning curve, its worth the effort expended, my photos have benefitted from it for 8 years - its the BEST!!!
I use PS Version 7, its easier and cheaper to use than CS4/5, and costs about £70. What version have you currently got,or is it Elements you have got?
David

iqs 20:54 04 Dec 2010

Hi all,

Thank you for all the suggestions.Am currently downloading and trying each to see which suits my purpose.Think I might be having a late night.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?