Photos using web cam

harveywallbanger 22:48 01 Apr 2008

I would like to be able to take passport style photos using a web cam and be able to print them immediately (for use on a visitor's badge). Any suggestions as to what equipment /software would work for me...?

Stuartli 23:03 01 Apr 2008

Any standard freeware photo editing program will do - you need a webcam which comes with the means to take a snapshot (in many cases video is also available).

Webcams, however, unless you have an expensive model with a decent lens, have comparatively low resolution (up to 640x480) and passport pix will be about their limit.

anchor 12:34 02 Apr 2008

For just a visitors badge you will not need high resolution; only a recognisable picture. I would consider that a webcam to be more than adequate. (It would be a different matter if you wanted a picture for a passport).

Depending on the camera software, you "should" be able to capture a still image. With my Logitech you can.

You will need to make the picture 45mm x 35mm; most photo software can be used to crop and re-size if necessary. Irfanview is such, and free too.

This might be of general interest on the subject of passport pictures:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?