Photos opening as pdf files

toobookoo 13:13 14 Feb 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to save photos from phone to PC. The files in my phone SD card are showing as jpg.'s, but as soon as I open them in the file manager on my PC they appear as pdf files.

I suspect my wife has clicked on the bit where it says always open this type of file using this program, as I see she has downloaded some photo's to the desktop wich are pdf's!

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Ian in Northampton 14:20 14 Feb 2015

Start, Control panel, Default programs

toobookoo 11:48 15 Feb 2015

Hi Ian,

Thnks for your reply. I have gone into control panel and restored to default but it still seems to be doing the same thing. Basically in the picture file on my SD card the pictures show as jpg. but when I access the picture file in the SD card when connected to my PC, the PC displays them as Adobe Acrobat pdf. and obviously I can't open them then.

Regards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:00 15 Feb 2015

right click the file

select open with

or shell - open with

toobookoo 12:28 15 Feb 2015

Hi Fruit bat,

I've tried the right click and just seems to say open with adobe acrobat, I should have said, I'm using windows 8.1 not sure if that makes adifference.

Thanks

wee eddie 14:48 15 Feb 2015

You know that the .jpg files are opening in Adobe Acrobat ~ That is your problem.

You have to Select the Program that you want them to Open in

toobookoo 17:10 15 Feb 2015

Hi Eddie,

That is what is happening, but it seems to be automatically defaulting to adobe pdf and I don't seem to have the option of opening with any other program, when i right click it just says open with adobe. I have been into control panel and restored to default settings also.

Any ideas how to do this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

wee eddie 17:19 15 Feb 2015

Do what fruitbat has said before you have opened the file.

You should be presented with a list of potential programmes. Click the most suitable and check the button below that says "Always use this programme"

toobookoo 17:35 15 Feb 2015

Hi Eddie,

It won't let me do it. I right click the folder which say pictures, the only option is open. As soon as I click this all the pictures appear on my PC as pdf's

wee eddie 17:44 15 Feb 2015

So: Let's try to get this straight.

You have transferred the photos from the Phone to your PC. They are all in a Folder, probably in My Pictures. Each file has a number and the suffix .jpg

rdave13 17:57 15 Feb 2015

Try this. Control Panel, default programs, set default programs and select Windows Photo Viewer. At the top text click on Default Programs to go back a page. Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Scroll down to .jpeg and left click once, click on the Change program.. tab on top right. Select Windows Photo Viewer. Do the same for .jpe and .jpg.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?