photos displaying as "mountain scenery"

kimtrnc 06:08 05 Jul 2010

I am very embarassed. I have been dealing with photographs for many, many years. However, my new win 7 machine will only display a standard (mountain-type)image, and won't show me my actual images on screen,but only in MSpicture viewer.
I want to see the actual files!
I am sure this is an amazingly simple thing to do, but I cannot make it work.
Please help a poor old lady who is clearly losing her marbles ( and pictures!)

onthelimit 09:08 05 Jul 2010

Do you just want to look at them, or are you trying to replace the current desktop picture with one of yours? If the former, I would download Picassa from Google - I find it a good way to look at and email pictures on the PC.

chub_tor 09:18 05 Jul 2010

Are you talking about the thumbnail views that you see in My Pictures? If so you should see the little mountain view icon toward the top right of the window with a down pointing triangle alongside it. click on that triangle and you will see all the views available. Try Extra Large Icons and you might see your thumbnail pictures. If not post back.

northumbria61 09:32 05 Jul 2010

onthelimit/chub_tor - I am confused about this one. Is the lady trying to change the desktop theme ie. the "mountain type" image she is referring to ?

chub_tor 09:56 05 Jul 2010

I an guessing that the mountain view she is seeing is the thumbnail icon that I get when a picture is slow to load eg when transferring a whole slew of pics from a camera to the PC. You get a rectangle with what looks like mountains. You can also see it as a small icon at the top of the window when the view that is selected is Large Icons. Maybe all she has to do is refresh the thumbnails.

peugeot man 10:02 05 Jul 2010

Right click on the page displaying the mountain views. Select "view". Select "Large Icons" The actual pictures will then be displayed as thumbnails.

I puzzled over this myself when I first installed Win7.

northumbria61 10:18 05 Jul 2010

chub_tor/ peugot man - Right - but I can see my pictures as thumbnails when viewing as medium, large or extra large icons.

northumbria61 10:29 05 Jul 2010

kimtrnc - you could click on "preview" in your pictures folder then from the left hand pane open the folder to reveal your pictures move your mouse over the individual picture to view in right hand pane.
Or as previously mentioned download Picasa 3 from Google (Free) and use that. I find it is an excellent program that enables you do do lots of things with your pictures.

northumbria61 10:30 05 Jul 2010

That is "preview" on the taskbar next to your "mountain triangle"

peugeot man 10:44 05 Jul 2010

I am assuming that kimtrnc may have "List" selected in the view option, this will give the mountain tiles she describes.

Changing this to large / medium etc will give the thumbnail picture.

Probably best to wait for feedback from kimtrnc as there is more than a little guesswork going on.

kimtrnc 11:03 05 Jul 2010

Hi guys - thanks for all the replies. Tried changing the icons in all possible ways you all suggested - it will only show the "mountain view" unless I go to picture viewer, which will, of course, show only one shot at a time. I don't seem to have an option to preview my pictures as files

What I want is to see my own photos, as they actually are, in a location that I choose, NOT where 7 thinks I should store them. (I REALLY, REALLY wish I'd stayed with XP!)

Nor am I trying to change the desktop theme picture - can do that ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?